Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

20 month old weim broken hock at 5months. was trembling and…

Customer Question
20 month old weim...

20 month old weim broken hock at 5months. was trembling and now breathing heavy today. wondering is he tweaked his joint running today causing pain?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Sid

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sid?

He is a hunting bird dog so very active. came on rather sudden. no limb point source pain. he gets up favors the leg wags tail and will run to great the neighbor. eyes responsive and pink refill on gums

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/21/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Sid seems to be painful today. Yes, faster breathing can be caused by pain, and given that he did have a broken bone, it's possible that he has some residual arthritis that has acted up from running. Other causes of heavy breathing include heart and respiratory problems, but since his gums are pink I doubt that either one of those is the issue. I recommend getting Sid an anti-inflammatory medication such as carprofen from your vet. In the long-term, you can prevent arthritis pain by putting some glucosamine/condroitin into his food twice daily. This can be purchased at any pharmacy.

His trembling quit sleeping w breathing of nostril flaring. But not a open mouth pant but rapid

I'm glad he's not breathing with an open mouth and if he starts to do that, I recommend getting him to the ER right away.