Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has been walking with her tail tucked between her…

My dog has been...

My dog has been walking with her tail tucked between her legs and seems uncomfortable when she goes to lie down. She has also cried out when she lies down sometimes or while going down the stairs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is your dog's name and age?

Mooshy. Age 8.5 yo

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Mooshy?

8.5 yo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mooshy?

Not that I can think of

3/21/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Mooshy is keeping her tail tucked between the legs and is vocalizing when trying to lie down or walk down stairs. I am sorry to hear about what is happening. Does she show any pain if you lift the tail up?

Once I begin to lift and the tail rises about her back she does make a slight whine.
above* her back

Thank you. This sort of posture of having the tail between the legs can occur if there is nerve impingement in the sacral or lumbar spine. This correlates well with the history of that Mooshy is acting painful when she walks down the stairs or lays down because more pressure will be placed on the spine during these movements. X-rays would help to find out what is causing this pain, but possibilities could be muscle pain, arthritis, infection, intervertebral disc herniation, etc. Pain medication from your veterinarian will be what you want to pursue if this pain continues, but for right now, Mooshy should be encouraged to rest and not move very often. If you can see your veterinarian tomorrow then they can prescribe an anti-inflammatory medication. Otherwise, you can give aspirin to Mooshy to decrease inflammation and pain.

About how much does Mooshy weigh?

Mooshy is 70 lb. I did contact her DVM and they are booked for the week, so I'm looking at other Veterinarians in the area. She has been taking 600 mg canine aspirin BID per the sig on the bottle.

She is already taking the dose at the high end of the spectrum for aspirin, so there is not much more you can do with aspirin to improve pain. If you have a current exam with your veterinarian, my suggestion would be to ask for tramadol or gabapentin to give in conjunction with the aspirin to help improve the pain level. Giving a different medication works on the pain receptors differently than aspirin, so that should help reduce pain overall. Most veterinarians would be willing to prescribe additional pain medication if they have seen Mooshy within the last 12 months.

Does that help answer your question?

I have not heard from you in a while. Are we still connected?

I am familiar with the pharmacokinetics of these two in human usage, and I'm curious if I need to worry about any adverse drug reactions with these in pups.
Would you suggest I ask for these while waiting for results or regardless of results? She does seem to be in pain, and I don't believe it's something that's just going to drop off instantaneously. Also, of the two do you recommend one over the other due to adverse effects?

Not at therapeutic doses. Adverse side effects with tramadol are mostly lethargy, vocalization, vomiting, and constipation. The adverse effects of gabapentin consist of dizziness primarily, but it is not usually seen in dogs. From the sound of it, I would suggest asking for additional pain medication besides the aspirin. If the issue appears to be caused by neuropathic pain then gabapentin would be a good choice. This appears to have less observed side effects than tramadol, but both are routinely used to treat pain.

Does that help?

Thank you. I'll call the vet in the am. Should I try icing or giving her a heating pad in the meantime?

Applying a cold compress like ice would be recommended if this is acute pain (i.e. within the last 3 days). If you can isolate where the pain is from then that would be best, ***** ***** it to the entire lumbar and sacral spine would likely help. 5-10 minutes at a time applied every 12 hours.

Thank you

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Perry