Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I noticed my dog's anal glands were bothering her so I made…

I noticed my dog's...

I noticed my dog's anal glands were bothering her so I made an appointment with the vet today. The vet canceled the appointment due to the impending storm and ithey are not open tomorrow. I got the next appointment for Thursday morning. But when I got home, I checked her and saw that she has a ruptured anal gland! She seems to be OK, she ate and is sitting here with me now. I can try some warm compresses. But I need to know if I should get her to an emergency vet tonight, or is it OK to wait 36 hours? As I said she is not acting as if she is pain, but I also know dogs can hide it well,

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?

Digest what?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

She is a 8 year old JRT mix.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

OK
I don't want to talk on the phone, please type your answer

No problem regarding the phone call, working on your typed answer now ...

Regards,

Scott

Did I miss your answer?

Just finishing it up ...

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Although a little uncomfortable for your dog anal gland abscesses are rarely serious so there should be no need to take her to an ER vet tonight. Having her checked over by your local vet tomorrow should be just fine.

2. What you can do in the meantime is to poultice the area every few hours, basically just soak some kitchen paper in warm salt water and hold this against the affected area for about five minutes at a time, you may need to change the kitchen paper now and again to hold the heat. Then dab it dry with some clean kitchen paper and apply the likes of Neosporin deep into any open areas.

3. When you see your vet tomorrow, they will probably put your dog on antibiotics for a few days, but I can tell you that I have known clients resolve the situation at home by the method I outlined above.

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today, so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her ruptured anal gland...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?