Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

It looks like she may have broken a toe. She is still

It looks like she...

It looks like she may have broken a toe

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

She is still walking on it, with a limp, but it appears distended, longer than the others.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No wound. No broken skin.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Grace. She is a 9 year old whippet in excellent health.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Grace?

9

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Grace?

No. she just had her wellness check up and is in excellent health. I let her out last night and she ran up to the back yard and yelped, came back limping.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/20/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
okay

I am sorry to hear you are concerned about Grace's toe. If her toe looks longer than the other, it may be broken, or she may have torn the toenail.

Either one is pretty painful. Do you have any pain medication previously prescribed for her?

If she has a broken toe, she will be painful for some weeks. It takes an Xray to tell if it is broken.

A torn nail could slide down the quick, and make the toe look longer. With a torn nail, I recommend pain medications, removing the loose piece, and sometimes a few days of antibiotics to prevent an infection.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No pain meds
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She does not have a torn nail. Nothing visible as damaged
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
really nothing to be done?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
even if X-ray to determine if it is broken, what is treatment?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don’t want to go thru x-rays etc. only to learn that there’s nothing to be done. I can keep her quiet and comfortable.

It depends on which toe, and how bad the fracture is; sometimes all we do is wrap the foot for support for a few weeks. Sometimes a splint or cast is recommended.

I am having problems with the website; sorry that my answers are getting through slowly.

Anit inflammatory and sometimes other pain drugs are usually given for at least the first week or so; bone pain is very painful.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She is walking on it with a limp, and allows me to handle her paw without pulling away.

The limp is because it hurts to put weight on it. If you don't have any pain medication, you could try aspirin. How much does she weigh?

It is important to not let her run on it for a few weeks, so it can heal.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
28 lbs

She could take 1 baby or low dose aspirin, up to twice daily with food. No Aleve or Advil.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
okay. Thank you. ***** wrap her foot so that she doesn't put weight on her toe?

Wrapping the foot won't keep her from walking on it, but will give some support to help make it feel better.

It would be best to find out if it is broken or not. If this is a badly displace fracture, just wrapping it may not be enough or helping could be prolonged.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She is quite happy to just lay around by the fire all day... I will give her the aspirin as you suggest. Possibly visit her local veterinarian if it's not improving. Thank you so much for the consultation.

You are welcome; please let me know how she is doing.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thanks for the great rating.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian