Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 7 pound 2 year old Maltese. He started with

Customer Question
I have a 7...

I have a 7 pound 2 year old Maltese. He started with diaherrria at 5:30 AM today. He is not eating and has had 4 bowel movements today. It is 7:00 EST. I made white rice for himwhich he did not eat. His mood is great— he’s acting normally, however cannot control his poops. What should I do.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Louis, and as mentioned 8s 2 years old. As I write to you, he is gnawing on his ( hide free) bone.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. How old is Louis?

He is 2 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Louis?

He sometimes is given hum; food. As an example I gave him ground up, cooked chicken

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/20/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Louis. I'm so sorry he's sick this way, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

To start with, even though it's upsetting, I'm glad he's refusing to eat. Sometimes a day without food is all it takes to help put an end to diarrhea. His appetite loss isn't particularly worrisome because he isn't vomiting and his energy level is still good. Those are both good signs.

Most of the time, when you've got an otherwise healthy dog (like Louis) who is young (like Louis), you can manage diarrhea symptoms like this at home by withholding food for 24 hours (allow access to water) and then resuming food with tiny meals (like only a teaspoon) of a bland diet of 50/50 boiled chicken and rice.

If that doesn't put an end to the diarrhea, or if he continues to refuse food after more than 24 hours, it's time to seek medical attention.

(typing more..._)

People often ask about using human over-the-counter diarrhea products like Pepto bismol or Imodium. While this can be done, I'm not a big fan of recommending it. If your dog's diarrhea is severe enough to warrant medicating it, it's better to have him seen by the vet so the vet can prescribe appropriate treatment.

I hope that makes sense the way I explained it.

You can click the link I've provided here to read more about home care for dogs with diarrhea:

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/home-care-for-the-dog-with-diarrhea/

I hope this information is helpful to you.

I see you are currently not online; I'm sorry to have missed you. If you have other questions, please let me know. I want to be as helpful as possible.

If that's it for now, please take a moment to rate my response with 5 STARS so I may receive credit for helping you today.

Thank you for using our website, and I hope Louis feels better quickly.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Jo

Just checking in to ask how Louis is doing. Is he better now? Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Thank you,

Dr. Jo