Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 60 lb golden retriever who ate one tablet of

Hi i have a...

Hi i have a 60 lb golden retriever who ate one tablet of valihist

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Brady and 1 year and 8 months

Active ingredients: Acetaminophen 325mg; Chlorpheniramine Maleate 2mg; Phenylephrine HCl 5mg
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/20/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

1. Is your pup taking any other medications?
  2. Is he healthy?
  3. How long ago did this occur?
  4. Do you have fresh (unexpired) 3% hydrogen peroxide?
1. No
2. Yes
3. Yesterday sometime I'm not sure, I took him to the vet this morning because he threw up and had diarrhea but just noticed the pill container with half missing
The vet office closed so I can't call them and let them know about it if that's what is wrong. They were planning to keep him the night and run some blood work. Will the dose be too much? And if so, will they be able to see them in the blood test?

Chlorpheniramine is an antihistamine we use in dogs. The usual dose is 4mgs to 8mgs so 2mgs is fine.

We see toxicity symptoms in dogs at a dose of Acetaminophen higher then 75 mg per kilogram (2.2 pounds per kilogram) of body weight.

At 60 pounds he is 27.27 kilograms (60lbs/2.2lbs per kg = 27.27kgs), so he would need to eat 2045mgs of acetaminophen.

(27.27kg X 75mg/kg = 2045mg).

So that's OK too.

Finally Phenylephrine is a decongestant. This one is a little worrisome because dogs handle decongestants poorly, but it is a small amount and they also don't absorb them well from the gastrointestinal tract, I would more concerned if this were a nasal spray.
Let me check the toxic dose for this one.
Phenylephrine is a sympathomimetic amine that is used as a decongestant and to treat hypotension (low blood pressure). It is poorly absorbed orally in dogs in the tablet form, because it is so extensively metabolized by the intestines and liver, so that is good news for your fellow. The nasal spray preparations are much more toxic as they are absorbed much, much better directly across mucous membranes (gums). The drug is absorbed quickly such that peak effects are seen in 30 minutes, and it is essentially out of the system in 6 hours or so.
The most common signs after tablet ingestion in dogs include vomiting, hyperactivity, lethargy, panting, and trembling. Toxic dosages in these pups ranged from 0.23 to 30 mg/kg. Hypertension was not a problem as it is in people that overdose with this drug.
At 60 pounds (27.27kgs), if he ingested 5mgs this may cause some minor symptoms as the minimal symptom threshold at his weight is 6.27mgs (27.27kg X 0.23mgs/kg = 6.27mgs) you could see mild symptoms including some panting and mild nausea. But because it is so poorly absorbed he really should be just fine.

Oh wonderful, I am so relieved. Thank you!!

In short if he only ate one tablet he should be just fine.

Unless we know a dog eats something we don't know to test for blood levels of the drug(s). Given that he ate the pill sometime yesterday, and he wasn't seen until today the drugs should pretty much be out of his system.

If he had eaten several of these I would be concerned, but one should not be an issue.

Perhaps he ate something else you were unaware of, so I am glad they are running blood tests to look for organ damage. I am sure that they will give him intravenous fluids too, which will definitely help him feel better.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara