Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He’s been shaking his head quite a bit, and there is redness…

Customer Question
He’s been shaking his...

He’s been shaking his head quite a bit, and there is redness in his ear..no discharge or odor. How can I tell the difference btwn ear mites,infection, etc? And how can I treat it?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Tank, 9yo, black lab

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Tank?

9yo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tank?

Nope, he’s a healthy horse!

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/20/2018
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 1 month ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Usually with mites and an infection you see some sort of discharge. One way of determining if mites are the cause is to take a small bit of the discharge and put it on a white piece of paper. Put a circle around it with a pen and check it again about an hour later. If there is any discharge outside of the circle then it is likely mites since only something live could move outside the circle.

. You can use a mixture of distilled vinegar, water and alcohol on a cotton ball to gently clean the ear to ensure it is nice and clean.

In a yeast infection, you will see a golden to black buildup in the ear. You may also notice redness and bleeding, head shaking and your dog scratching the ear as well. You can try some miconazole cream to see if it helps until you can get in to see the Vet, but it isn’t a cure for underlying condition

You should have your vet look at it and determine if it is fungal or bacterial in nature so the appropriate medication can be given. Ear infections are not pleasant for your dog and I hope you can get him seen soon.

The following site has a recipe for a home remedy that may provide some relief though I recommend visiting the vet for medication.

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/ears.html

Zymox with cortisone has been used by some experts to clear ear infections as well. You can read about it here:

http://animalpetdoctor.homestead.com/Zymox.html

Now my dogs often will shake their heads if there is excess water in the ear. Cleaning with alcohol may allow some of the alcohol to seep in and help dry up any wate that may have gotten into the ears. So I would try the cleaning solution.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner