Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He has lost all of his energy all of the sudden and has

Customer Question
He has lost all...

He has lost all of his energy all of the sudden and has trouble getting up. Is reluctant to get up and greet his owners as he used to and is in poor spirits. It's so unlike him. I took him in due to rapid breathing and they immediately removed a liter of fluid. I believe that is an unrelated disease process to what's causing his front paw to turn in when walking and he drags his back feet.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Buddha, boxer, aged 8.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Buddha?

His panting is unusually high even at rest. As a nursing student I check his breathing with a stethoscope and notice his breathing is becoming fairly shallow, intermittently, and his heart rate is high. I'm just really worried whatever is going on will soon take a toll on him.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/21/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Buddha is in respiratory distress. Did your vet do chest x-rays to investigate the cause? You mentioned that they removed fluid from his chest. They can analyze it to get a better idea of what is causing the fluid accumulation. Do you know if they analyzed the fluid?

My fiance was present for that decision and unfortunately he opted not to. I realize it should have been done. What are your thoughts on another tfast if his panting continues and then removing the fluid that has again accumulated and analyzing it? They did do chest xrays but weren't able to appreciate anything serious visible except for the fluid in chest. Vet noticed the trachea a little pushed up so he thinks maybe a tumor. I was thinking DM but idk what the next step would be for buddha as he isnt consistently presenting many symptoms except lethargy and bone weakness

Since he is not showing signs all the time, I do think you can wait and analyze the fluid if it comes back. I also think it would be a good idea to get some lab work done if that hasn't been done already.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Rachel
I've scheduled him to see internal medicine at the 24 hour vetmed clinic near me on tuesday (earliest they could get us in.) If he gets worse I'll take him straight to vet ER. I'd like to see if there is any fluid in his lungs and do another chest xray. If there is fluid I'll ask for lab work. His condition seems stable, but his shallow breathing worries me. Any suggestions on what to ask at the vet?

Yes, if they find fluids in the lungs, ask them to take a follow up x-ray after they drain it. After the fluid is gone, they might see something that can tell them what is causing the fluid accumulation, such as a lung tumor.

They didn't seem to find anymore fluid in his lungs after the ultrasound. I'm just lost as to how it could've gotten in there and why he's not as active anymore.

Did they take chest x-rays to look for the fluid?