Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 7 yr old JRT. He has an immune disease which makes…

Customer Question
I have a 7...

I have a 7 yr old JRT. He has an immune disease which makes him lose his toenails. Now he has an antibiotic resistant staph infection in his sinus. He’s been on several meds over the last few months, and none are helping. The vet now wants an mri done of his sinus to see if there’s a mass. He also has an enlarged prostrate. He was a rescue dog that has severe anxiety over everything. What can I do that will help this dog feel better?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?

Duncan.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Duncan?

We’re in the process of selling how home. We’ll be moving from Ca to Va. I’m worried about the stress on him. What else can we do to help him calm down?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/21/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm so sorry to hear that Duncan has a resistant infection. Did your vet do an x-ray to evaluate his sinuses?

He has had a full body X-ray nothing was seen in sinus or any where else. He wasn’t using his hind leg, and since he was having so many other issues she looked for tumors. Cultures done for bacterial and fungal infection. Blood Work is a little off, but vet thinks it’s from being on depo for a long time. He has thick neon green mucous. Not just a little bit either. It’s the kind where you go to wipe with a tissue and six inches of thick slime comes out. He’s on a depo shot every month for immune disease, and also taking smz-tmp 480 mg a day as well.

Sometimes dental problems can cause chronic nasal discharge. Has your vet done dental x-rays to check for a tooth abscess? Also, is the nasal discharge from one nostril or from both?

No abscess was seen, and it’s just one side that he’s having a problem with. No foreign item lodged in there either.

Was a rhinoscopy done? This is like an endoscopy except that there is a small tube passed up the nose to take a look inside.

Not that I’m aware of.

That would be the next step. Sometimes fungal cultures come out negative but you can see them during a rhinoscopy. It could also pick up a small foreign body that isn't obvious on a physical exam.

Ok thank you. Any recommendations for improving his health and stress?

I would stick to a routine. Dogs like predictability and it can reduce anxiety. He might also benefit from some anti-anxiety medication such as clompramine or fluoxetine. I would ask your vet about those. Also you mentioned an enlarged prostrate, which can cause trouble defecating. Is he straining when he tries to defecate? Any constipation?