Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a male field springer who will be 7 this May. He is…

Customer Question
I have a male field...
I have a male field springer who will be 7 this May. He is intact and very athletic in the field, a natural born hunter, as well as the best family dog that I can imagine. He is asymtomatic for prostatic disease but my concern is future development of adeno. Ca or hyperplasia. Are screening measures available and practical in dogs such as DRE and PSA or should he just have routine neutering?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/20/2018
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

There are several health benefits to neutering. The prostate gland in an intact male dog will gradually enlarge over the course of the dog’s life and by age five years, it is usually significantly enlarged. The prostate in an unneutered dog is also predisposed to infection, which is almost impossible to clear up without neutering. Neutering causes the prostate to shrink into insignificance, thus preventing both prostatitis as well as the uncomfortable benign hyperplasia that occurs with aging. It is often erroneously thought that neutering prevents prostate cancer but this is not true; neuter benefits on the prostate are about preventing enlargement and infection.

As far as screening tests, biomarkers such as PSA do exist. The equivalent secretion in dogs is arginine esterase, also known as canine prostate-specific arginine esterase (CPSE). CPSE is also expressed by other urinary tract cells and during non-neoplastic prostatic disease, so it has not been widely used to screen for prostate cancer.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen.

petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian