Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

It is too dangerous to drive and will be until Thursday,

It is too dangerous...

It is too dangerous to drive and will be until Thursday, when I DO have a vet appt. My 3.4lb 11 month old chihuahua mix dislocated his knee or hip and is in pain. What can I give him?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the Chihuahua's name and age?

Tyrion and he will be a year on 4/17

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tyrion?

He was probably a swimmer pup

OK I paid the membership
I do have some buprenex liquid in syringes from my cat.
How long should I be waiting???
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/20/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

OK. Thanks. I was getting nervous that I did something wrong

I'm sorry to hear of this with Tyrion. As for over the counter analgesia, caretakers are constrained to aspirin dosed at 10 mg per pound of body weight with food at 12 hour intervals or acetaminophen which can be dosed at 7 mg per pound of body weight thrice daily but isn’t antiinflammatory as is aspirin. You can give aspirin and acetaminophen concurrently which should provide better analgesia than either drug alone. When giving acetaminophen for longer than 5 consecutive days it's best to reduce the dose to 5 mg per pound of body weight twice daily. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen in dogs.

The Buprenex when given to dogs needs to be injected. It's dosed in the wide range of 5 - 30 micrograms/kg (2.3 - 13.6 mg/lb) intramuscularly or subcutaneously every 6-12 hours. It's quite potent but perhaps not necessary for limb pain. I would see how aspirin, acetaminophen, or a combination of the two affects Tyrion. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

OK can you just tell me the dose for each as he weighs 3.35lbs? I don't want tu screw up my math

Yes. Aspirin dosed at 10 mg/lb x 3.35 lbs = 33.5 mg. That's 33.5 mg/81 mg = 0.4 of a baby/cardiac aspirin. Practically speaking, 1/2 of a baby/cardiac 81 mg aspirin twice daily with food.

Acetaminophen dosed at 7 mg/lb x 3.35 lbs = 23.5 mg. There are many different acetaminophen products out there and so I need to know how many mg are in the pill or capsule you have to know what portion of the pill or capsule to give Tyrion.

I'm going to try to get some baby Tylenol

Once you do, let me know how many mg/mL are in the Tylenol solution, please. You'll find that information on the label.

Thanks!
I'm a retired vet tech for crying out loud but it's utter chaos here and I don't trust my own brain.

!!!! No worries. I'm chained to my computer by evil gnomes. I'll watch for your next post.

Haha. Damn gnomes. They get you every time.
I found cardiac aspirin. Cutting it up now.

Good. It's antinflammatory while acetaminophen isn't. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

What a face! Tyrion is now in my customer photo folder. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Quick update :
He's resting now, which is a great relief to us both.
He has a face only i can love, but an attitude that's hard to resist.
No need to reply. I'll update again later. Thanks so much

TY!

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I appreciate it.

32 mg/mL

He should receive 0.75 mL (24 mg) every 8 hours.

Oh! Goody! I just was going to ask if that was right.
Awesome. My brain works. Yay

I heard you wondering...

Haha. It's true.
I also have a PhD in psychology...
So he's the easiest animal to dose. Eats whatever i show him.
I'll let you know how he does. Thank you for your help and humor ��

It's my pleasure.

https://twitter.com/RosesHateTrump/status/976277780869664768?s=19
Tyrion has a large Twitter following (and he's a bit liberal)
But he gave you a shout out on his account

I gotta see this...

I sent that to my daughter!

Haha! Cool ����
It amuses me.
Tyrion feels much better. Limp is as bad but pain is much better. He sees the vet in the am.
Thank you for your help

Thank you for the update. Keep me posted, please...

I'll let you know the dx straight away.

I appreciate it.

Indeed!

Terrific pic, thanks! ~50% of small (less than33 lbs) dogs return to full function with conservative (nonsurgical) treatment. By contrast, all of the surgical treatments have a reported success rate of ~85% for patients of all sizes. Thanks for the update.

It's very expensive and I had to retire to be a full time, unpaid, caregiver to my ex father in law (Parkinson's)

I understand.

fingers crossed!
Thanks again, so much

It's my pleasure.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?