Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

M;y grandson made some beef jerky and my llasa ate about…

Customer Question
M;y grandson made some...

M;y grandson made some beef jerky and my llasa ate about 10pcs. I can taste the pepper. I am at my daughters. she is at work and I am recouping from maniscus tear with no car. My vet in Ventura said to give 1 tsp hydrogin peroxide. I have given her 2 and she has not vomited.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Daisy age 14.5

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Daisy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Daisy?

She is on thyroid. other than that is healthy.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/20/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. Usually with dogs eating jerky they will get some GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea, not wanting to eat) over the next few days. I would recommend the following to help mitigate the situation. If this does not help, I would recommend taking her to the vet for a check up.

You can give Pepcid (0.25 mg/lb) every 12 hours for the next few days. It is an antacid that can help decrease the acidity in the stomach and help with GI upset. I would feed boiled chicken and white rice for the next few days. It is a bland diet that can help with GI upset. You can also syringe feed some Pedialyte to help with hydration as well.

If you have a moment to fill out a positive review (by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page) for me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you so much and good luck!