Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Pomeranian has a collapsed trachea. What is a good over…

Customer Question
My Pomeranian has a...

My Pomeranian has a collapsed trachea. What is a good over the counter cough medicine for this condition?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is your Pomeranian's name and age?

Lacy - 7

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lacy?

Perhaps a bit overweight - maybe a pound overweight

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/20/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. I would start her on some Benadryl, 1 mg/lb every 12 hours. This is an antihistamine that can help decrease the inflammation of the trachea and help with tracheal collapse in this way.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian