Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is coughing and hacking but nothing comes out. At some…

She is coughing and...

She is coughing and hacking but nothing comes out. At some point sounds as if they are having trouble breathing.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?

Candy is 19 years old . Rat terrier. Two of my other dogs are doing the same thing.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Candy?

19 years old. The other two are 2 yrs old and 8 yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Candy?

Not that I can think of.

3/20/2018
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Candy today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

How long has this been going on?

Do the dogs go to places where they are exposed to other dogs such as dog parks, grooming salons, dog day care, kennels etc?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It just started yesterday. No they are not exposed to any other places. They are indoors and occasionally go out in the backyard to run around.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I do worry a little more when an older small breed dog develops a cough. The causes of cough in older small breed dog can include both cardiac and pulmonary diseases such as bronchitis, or congestive heart disease. But the fact that they are all affected makes something contagious more suspicious as these other two disorders are not contagious. Kennel cough and canine influenza are both contagious causes of cough in dogs of any age, but it sounds like they do not necessarily fit the dogs at risk pattern.

In any case, since this just started yesterday, if it continues, especially if it starts to cause respiratory distress or affect her appetite, she should be examined by your vet and have a thorough evaluation of her heart and lungs, including chest xay. In the meantime, I would try to keep her from getting too excited or running around so that it doesn't exacerbate the cough.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen.

petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** ***** keep an eye on them.

You are welcome. Hopefully it will clear up on it's own, but if not, your vet should be able to help.

Thank you kindly for the positive rating. It is truly appreciated.

petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian