Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 4 year old German Short Hair has had significant pain in…

Customer Question
My 4 year old...

My 4 year old German Short Hair has had significant pain in his lower back. His right side of his back and upper flank are inflamed, hard and painful. We took him to the vet and they took x-rays thinking a blockage, but did not see anything. You can tell it hurts him to walk, etc. Is this where the kidney is located and could it be that?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No, is there a reason this could be related to a bulge on his lower back? Thanks

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name and age?

Dexter is 4 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Dexter?

4

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dexter?

He has had other health issue this year. Prior to he was an amazing animal (would run all day). He has had types of bronchitis, and other infections. Am worried he has some autoimmune issues.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/21/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I'm sorry to hear of this with Dexter. Please see the diagram below for placement of the kidneys. To answer you directly, yes, an enlarged kidney can distend the flank but I would have expected an X-ray to readily see such a kidney if that were the case. Kidneys can enlarge due to blockage of the outflow tract (ureter, urethra), due to neoplastic (cancerous) infiltration, pyelonephritis (kidney infection), and degenerative and congenital (present at birth) conditions in which urine is retained in or around the kidney filling the retroperitoneal space in which the kidney lies. When there's concern for kidney involvement in a diease process, blood work pertaining to the kidneys plus a complete urinalysis is indicated. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

It is definitely where the kidneys are located on the diagram or maybe just to the back of that and on his right side. The Bulge is large and solid and he indicates pain from it. He even lays curled up and puts his mouth against it. Do you have any idea what it could be?

I would needle aspirate such a bulge and examine the aspirate microscopically. I'd be looking for cells that characterize infection, neoplasia (cancer), hyperplasia (overgrowth of normal cells), or in this case, kidney cells. I might send the aspirate to my pathologist who is more talented in differentiating one cell from the other than I am. Once I hone in on what the bulge represents, I might then image it with X-rays, ultrasound, or CT to get a better idea of how it's situated in the body and how I might surgically address it (if need be). It might be able to be addressed in a conservative manner (medically), instead, predicated upon what the aspirate tells me. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

We're not so confident in our vet. But he said that the lump might be quote-unquote brown fat. But would fat just appeared when flame and two to three days or is there something else it could be any chance that it's lymph?

I don't know what "brown fat" is. There are no lymph nodes there. Traumatized fat can swell alarmingly fast but there should be a history of trauma for that to be a serious consideration.

is there anything else in that region or area? If he were constipated or had a blockage could his bowel push it up that large? And wouldn't that have been visible in the X-ray?

No. No. Question is thus moot.

Thank you!

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.