Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has one paw her left that she licked raw. She had…

My dog has one...

My dog has one paw her left that she licked raw. She had this before and the vet cleared it up. I have to research what she had prescribed. We are on SSL so money is tight.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?

? Digest what??

3/20/2018
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I am dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am so sorry to hear about your pet. I am working on a response and will be back shortly.
if you are limited on funds and the Paw is looking a bit inflamed or infected there are some things that you can try to do at home. You can certainly try to soak the paw in an epsom salt once-daily and dry thoroughly. Next it would be very important to prevent licking and chewing. This is only accomplished by using an e-collar. We do not want to wrap the paw as this will cause increased moisture to build up and could delay healing. If you feel that she is itchy and that is the reason why she is licking her paw then I can always provide you a dose of an antihistamine if you provide me with her weight. I would also encourage you to thoroughly examine the pot and make sure that you don't see any type of a growth, broken nail or foreign object. Unfortunately on this website I am not able to prescribe any medication as there is not a client patient relationship established and I am unable to do a physical exam. You certainly can send me some pictures if you have the opportunity.
Sorry for the autocorrect that was supposed to say paw not pot! Obviously if things are not improving after trying the above suggestions then I would certainly recommend that you take her for an exam and get the recommended medication. If it hasn't been too long since her last exam you may be able to call your veterinarian and see if they will refill meds for you? It really all depends on the veterinarian and how long ago she was last seen.
I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have additional questions or concerns. I am happy to help. If you are satisfied with my assistance a five star rating is always appreciated. Even after the rating we can continue this conversation for about a week so feel free to send me any questions or concerns you may have. Sincerely ***** *****
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the paw is not infected and it is dry. I have a cone on her so she can't lick it. I don't think it is itchy the vet we went to said
she might b doing it out of boredom ? not sure. I will try soaking it in epsom salts. Is there any salve u might presribe?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the wound size is about 1 inch by 1/2 inch
I'm really glad that the paw is not infected and appears dry. That is great. It is possible that it could be a behavioral issue however if she's doing it to the point where it's looking a bit red and irritated then obviously we have to slow her down a bit. The e-collar is a great way to do that and Sometimes an antihistamine like Benadryl can help calm a pet down and slow the behavior temporarily. I am actually not a huge fan of ointment as I feel that it just causes more moisture. I typically like using a powder like a Gold Bond powder to help dry out the area as long as the pet is not licking. If it doesn't look infected then we shouldn't have to use any Neosporin. It is safe to use a triple antibiotic though if you would prefer to do that. Again it is so difficult without seeing the actual lesion so if you'd like to send a picture that would be great.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you for all your help . I will try using your suggestions. If not successfull, will be back in touch. thanks again.
Charles
That would be great. Please keep me posted on how things are going. Again if you feel like sending a picture that is always very helpful to me and enables me to make better recommendations. Remember, after the rating this conversation will be over for a week so we can continue this conversation during that time. Take care, doctor Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian