Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I WALKED DOWNSTAIRS THIS AM TO A VERY SWEET MUSTY SMELL - I…

HI THERE - I...

HI THERE - I WALKED DOWNSTAIRS THIS AM TO A VERY SWEET MUSTY SMELL - I ASSUMED IT MAY HAVE BEEN FROM MY 14 YR OLD LAB

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

CARLIE - SHE IS 14.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about CARLIE?

Lot of fatty tumors and 1 lump in folds of back leg that is cancerous. Too old to have surgery on per vet. Bad breath, chronic ear infection

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/20/2018
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I am dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am sorry to hear about your dog Carly. I am working on a response and will be back shortly.
the first thing I think of given your description of a very sweet musty smell would be focusing on the ear infection. There are some ear infections like pseudomonas bacterial infections that can cause a very sweet smell. If she has a history of chronic ear infections then sometimes these dogs will develop a really severe type of bacterial infection that can cause a terrible odor. Obviously if left untreated this can be very painful and certainly can contribute to hearing loss.
Do you have a veterinarian you trust that you could take her to for an exam and treatment?
Pseudomonas infections are very interesting. I can typically walk into a room and determine that a dog has a pseudomonas infection just by the distinct odor that results from the bacteria.
Obviously I am not making a diagnosis right now given the fact that I am unable to examine her, but I am just giving you my best opinion based on your description.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
we do have a trusted vet. We also use kpt flush
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But her ear doesn't smell sweet...very odd
That is really odd. And I'm glad that you have some flush though I would recommend using it. How about her urinary habits? Some dogs will develop Urinary tract infections that can be pretty severe and have a strong odor.
I would check her skin and around her backside to try to determine if it's related to skin or potentially her urinary system. I know it sounds kind of strange but it's important to try to localize the issue. If you are unsure then obviously take her in for an exam. Was there anything else in the room that could have Caused the odor?
Are you still there?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry...had to leave. I think I will take her to vet. Thanks!!
That is a great idea! Please keep me posted. I hope this information has helped. If you are satisfied with my assistance a 5-star rating is always appreciated. Even after the rating you can continue this conversation for about a week so please keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions even after you see your veterinarian. Sincerely ***** *****
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Hi Jill,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Nicole

I just wanted to check in with you and see how things are going. Did you take her in for an exam already? I just wondered what the cause of the odor was? Hope all is well.

Dr. N

Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian