Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My GSP has become super skinny, he eats, isn't drinking and…

My GSP has become...

My GSP has become super skinny, he eats, isn't drinking and has been wormed

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?

Sarge 5 yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Sarge 5 yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

No he was fine 3 weeks ago

3/20/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am concerned that Sarge is quickly getting very thin even with a good appetite.

Worms rarely cause significant weight loss in an otherwise healthy adult dog.

When we see weight loss with an apparently normal or increased appetite we need to worry about disease processes that either don't allow him to digest and/or absorb the food he is taking (such as diabetes, liver disease, primary intestinal or pancreatic disease including cancers) or those that lead to a higher metabolic rate such as cancer or overwhelming infections.

If he were drinking more and urinating a tremendous amount, diabetes would be the most likely cause. Sometimes early on with diabetes we only see weight loss.

Both diabetes is manageable. Diabetes is controlled with diet and insulin therapy.

Has he had any testing done to achieve a diagnosis?

Ideally he should have a complete blood count and biochemistry profile with thyroid profile checked as well as a urinalysis. These tests often give us the information that we need.

If those aren't diagnostic then it is time to move on to more specialized testing. I recommend checking vitamin B levels to look for signs of intestinal disease, a test for pancreatic insufficiency called a TLI, and an abdominal ultrasound to look for signs of changes in the walls of the intestines as well as evaluating his organs. He may need an endoscopy to collect biopsies of his intestines if they look abnormal.

In the meantime you might try feeding him a higher calorie prescription food called Hills a/d or Iams Maximum Calorie from your veterinarian and make sure he has access to plenty of fresh, clean water.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian