Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
99787490

I have an 8 yr old female Havanese with Iris Atrophy which

Customer Question

I have an 8 yr old female Havanese with Iris Atrophy which doesn't seem to bother her. Her last three visits to the
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: veterinarian indicate elevated liver enzymes - 518, 701. This morning 739 after a course of Denosyl. Now she will be another course of Denosyl plus Science Hill LD food. Her veterinarian said there are several possible causes for elevated liver enzymes in dogs. She seems perfectly healthy. How concerned should I be?
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No. He sees her on a regular basis. I have two more female Havanese about the same age who do not have any health problems.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Nicole replied 8 months ago.
Hello, I am dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am sorry to hear your pet. I am working on a response and will be back shortly.
I would be interested to know which enzymes are elevated. There are a number of enzymes that tell us different things. Alt is a liver specific enzyme however ALK phosphatase is not liver specific and can sometimes indicate other issues. I would definitely be concerned about liver enzyme elevations. Did it happen to know which enzymes were elevated or have a copy of the blood work?
If the value that is elevated is the alt, then this is liver-specific and I definitely would not ignore it. It means something and it should be further explore. Again it helps if I can see if there are other values that are elevated. When it comes to liver disease a blood test will tell you that there is disease present but it won't tell you what the cause is. Typically the next step for evaluating liver disease if the values are not decreasing on liver supplement would be an abdominal ultrasound of the liver. There are other liver function tests that can also be done to determine if a liver is functioning normally.
I didn't hear back from you so please let me know if you are still online?