Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

A few minutes ago she started falling on her side. I kept…

Hi. A few minutes...

Hi. A few minutes ago she started falling on her side. I kept trying to make her lie down but she kept walking and falling. on her right side. I'm scare.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No wound. She can walk around fine for a bit and then her right side gives out

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Isabella age 16

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Isabella?

She is a Shih Tzu cross. Been very healthy. Once she had surgery on her ACL but I don't remember what side. Also it does not seem to hurt her. No crying or sound when she falls. She's deaf

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/20/2018
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for asking your question and trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 18 years of experience.This does sound concerning. However, my top suspicion would be this could be related to her balance system (Vestibular). Some older dogs do have an acute onset of issues with their balance system called Vestibular syndrome. It causes a head tilt, rapid eye movement (usually back-and-forth) and severe nausea. If this is going on it is temporary, but usually does require a trip to the veterinarian for some prescription medication and an exam to ensure this is only what is going on.

Other possible problems could be weakness such as can come from anemia or electrolyte or blood sugar (glucose) problems. Or, it could be a primary cerebral (brain) problem. IF she is circling to the same side then this points more to a brain problem (and then could be a stroke, high blood pressure related problem or tumor).

Let me know what questions you have.

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey
Really well. I took her in to the vet and it turned out to be a pinched nerve on her right leg. I’m glad I took her in. They gave her a shot and pills for inflammation

Thanks for the update. I'm really happy to hear she is doing better.