Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My shiz Tzu sits and pants all night and day. He doesn't…

My shiz Tzu sits...

My shiz Tzu sits and pants all night and day. He doesn't sleep or move from one place to the other unless I ask him to come.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Russell

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Russell?

I'm not real sure because I got him from someone that he had been found running through town. But he was about 3 or 5 years old and I've had him for at least 5 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Russell?

He has a small lump in his back leg and he is overweight at about 22 lbs.

3/20/2018
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I am dr. Nicole when I would be happy to help you with your question. I am so sorry to hear about Russell. I am working on a response and will be back shortly.
Ok. Thank u.
there are a number of reasons why a dog will have decreased activity, lethargy and increased panting. The following are some things that can cause these behaviors: Obesity, pain such as with arthritis,metabolic diseases such as Cushing's Disease, diabetes, kidney or liver diseases. Increase weight alone can cause a dog to be lethargic and have increased panting just from the excessive weight. Typing more...
The other concern or question that I would have is are you noticing an increase in drinking or peeing? And how is his appetite? In my opinion the best thing that you could do is take him in for an exam and possible blood work. The blood work will help us determine if there any underlying metabolic diseases that need to be treated. Do you feel like he is in any pain?
I apologize I'm not in a place where I can take a phone call but I'm happy to continue typing if that's okay with you and it will also help save you some money. Is that okay with you
It truly could be as simple as extra weight. Dogs become so lazy if they are really carrying more weight than they should and it definitely causes an increase in panting. It certainly does take time for dogs to lose weight but it can definitely make them feel a lot better. Small adjustments in a feeding schedule can make a huge difference.
If you feel like there have been changes in his drinking and peeing habits then there may be something more involved going on that warrant having him examined and having a simple blood test completed. He doesn't quite seem old enough to have a lot of pain unless he has a congenital joint issue.
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
that's fine. But I forgot to tell u I give him pain meds every day once a day mostly sometimes twice but it doesn't seem to help him. He was hit by a car when I first got him and it broke both his legs so the vet put him in a human casting for about 8 or 9 weeks and he has been great ever since til now.
DrRoyC
Phone call session started
Okay that is really good information, thank you. Wow, that is so terrible that he went through that but I'm glad that he's on some pain medication. Certainly if he does have extra weight it could be making the pain more significant but it sounds like you are managing that in the best way possible. Sounds like it may be another issue. So you have a couple options if you are really concerned about how he is doing and he really seems depressed and lethargic and potentially uncomfortable then of course I would get him in sooner rather than later to have him evaluated and have some testing done. If that is not an option at this time then I would certainly work on trying to get his weight down a little bit. obviously it is difficult for me to evaluate if he really is that heavy or not just based on a number but dropping a few pounds may help him especially if he's had a previous injury that affects his joints. If this is been a slowly Progressive thing then you may be able to wait and monitor him for a little bit. If these behaviors seem to come on quite suddenly and he is not acting like himself and you've noticed a change in drinking and peeing then having some blood work done would definitely make you feel more at ease and reassured that there isn't or is something else going on. I hope that makes sense.
I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I know this can be quite difficult. I am happy to help in any way that I can with some obvious limitations over the internet! This conversation will stay open for a week so please feel free to send me any additional questions that you may have. Sincerely ***** *****
Thank u very much. I'm taking him to his vet then probably she will recommend the University hospital. So thanks for your help.
You are welcome. Please keep me posted on how things are going I would love to know if everything is okay. I wish you the best. Dr. N
Thank u Doctor N. I will let u know.
My Russell started having seizures after I got him home from my vet about 3 hours later. And they wouldnt stop til he died. I tried to save him by giving him mouth to mouth,and pressing on his chest. But it didn't help, He just stopped breathing and I knew he was gone. It broke my heart. It was Tuesday night it happened. My vet took some bloodwork, but hadn't been able to send it in til the next day. But I asked her if I should take him to OSU hospital while I had him there but she said let's wait til his bloodwork comes back. But I know I should have taken him there anyway. But only thing may have happened there is that they probably couldn't of saved him either then I wouldn't have gotten to spend those last 3 hours with him. I am so lost without him and so is my other pup. I know he crys for him too as I do and have since I lost him. Just letting you know. Thank u for trying to help. ...Marilyn