Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has what looks like cold sores around her mouth and…

Hi my dog has...

Hi my dog has what looks like cold sores around her mouth and chin

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your dog's name and age?

Leah, 5yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Leah?

5yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Leah?

She recently had a procedure done to remove masses on her leg she is a boxer mix

3/20/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Can you upload a photo(s) of these areas to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

I'll be away from my computer until mid-afternoon (I'm in the Pacific time zone) but promise to reply as soon as I return.

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

Ouch! The photos appear to reveal a chin (and lip) pyoderma. Often called acne, it's not a true acne but, instead, a pyoderma (bacterial skin infection). Treatment is as follows:

1) Trauma and pressure to the chin should be minimized; in other words, resting the chin on abrasive surfaces should be prevented.

2. For mild lesions, the area should be scrubbed with benzoyl peroxide or chlorhexidine shampoo (available over the counter or from Leah's vet) in the direction of hair growth. This mechanical scrubbing to remove "ingrown" hairs is important for preventing future lesions and speeding resolution.

3. Mupirocin ointment (by prescription through her vet) or benzoyl peroxide gel (over the counter) should be applied every 24 hours until lesions resolve, then every 3-7 days as needed for control.

4. For moderate to severe lesions, in addition to topical treatment, systemic antibiotics should be administered for a minimum of 4-6 weeks and continued 2 weeks beyond complete clinical and cytologic resolution.

5. Adhesive tape can be used to tape strip the "ingrown" hairs making hair removal easy.

The prognosis is good. In many dogs, the lesion resolve permanently; however, some dogs require lifelong routine topical therapy for control.

Her incessant licking is most indicative of intestinal cramping, nausea, gastroesophageal reflux (GERD, acid reflux, heartburn), or esophageal or oral irritation/ulceration). Dosing her with an over the counter proton pump antacid such as omeprazole at a dose of 0.25 - 0.5 mg per pound of body weight once daily should be helpful.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** ***** this and how can it be prevented? You mentioned to doze her with "proton pump antacid such as omeprazole" what exactly should I be looking for? Name of the medicine?

This is a traumatic furunculosis - deep pyoderma thought to be caused by short, stiff, hairs forced backward into hair follicles creating a sterile foreign body reaction that may become subsequently infected. It may be induced by lying on hard floors or chew toys. Prilosec is the best known brand of omeprazole but there are many generics available.

You're quite welcome. I have to leave my computer for 4 hours but promise to reply as soon as I return if need be.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I tell what is moderate to severe lesions? And how would I get her the antibiotics, if needed?Thank you
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will Zantac work for her instead of Prilosec?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry, one more question. The directions for all the benzoyl peroxide or chlorhexidine shampoo say not the let the dog lick the treated area. The area is around her mouth, how do I prevent this? Seems impossible!

I see severe lesions. The antibiotics are prescription drugs available only through Leah's attending vet. Ranitidine (Zantac) doesn't raise the stomach pH as effectively as omeprazole. You're going to rinse those shampoos. However much she ingests isn't toxic; excessive ingestion might cause transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How much benzoyl peroxide should there be in the benzoyl peroxide gel?Thank you

5% benzoyl peroxide gel is considered therapeutic. Avoid 10% gels which are more irritating especially in dogs with dry skin and/or allergic akin disease.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your help!

It's my pleasure.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian