Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My hungarian viszla suddenly is shaking a bit and his left…

My hungarian viszla suddenly...

My hungarian viszla suddenly is shaking a bit and his left eye stays shut and when I try to open it, it goes back into his head. No swelling. He can walk fine. Tail under him.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Ryder. 9.5 years. No health problems

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ryder?

A few months ago he had a pain in his neck and with some meds he got over it. One of his eyes (I think smae one?) was dilated for a few days, then went away

3/20/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for the pictures. His color looks good.

It looks like the protective third eyelid is raised in his left eye. The third eyelid is a thin membranous protective eyelid that normally sits hidden in the nose side corner of the eye. It generally rises in response to some sort of irritation, whether it be a scratch or foreign body in the eye, an infection or an allergic type reaction.

Sometimes we see it come up in both eyes in dogs that are very sick systemically, dehydrated or very malnourished.

If the pupil is smaller in his affected eye compared to the other, unaffected eye, his eye itself looked sunken and smaller compared to his normal eye, and his lid looks droopy then he may have a condition called Horner's Syndrome. This is a nerve problem in that the nerves that control keeping his eye open and the third eyelid down aren't functioning normally. The nerves that control those functions are long, leaving the brain, traveling down the spinal cord into the chest, leaving the spine there, entering the center of his chest and then traveling all the way back up to the head, passing by the ear. Thus there are lots of places where inflammation/pressure on the nerves can occur affecting the nerve function. In his case it sounds like he had some neck pain a bit ago, perhaps whatever caused the inflammation of the nerves in his neck is contributing to his current symptoms.

The most common causes of Horner's Syndrome in young otherwise healthy dogs are idiopathic, meaning we don't know why it happens, or related to an ear infection.

The dog pictured in the link below has Horner's syndrome. Notice how small her affected eye looks as well as the third eyelid rising.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZAndnoENNQGlSEONC_oubh4UimNkPTLbLPnYMe5psqdmL416D

If his eye size looked normal, not drawn back into his head compared to his other eye, and his lids weren't droopy, and because only one eye is affected I would be suspicious of some sort of trauma (possibly from another pet or plant material?) or a foreign body (grass awn, grass blades) in his affected eye. That is possible, but given what you have described, his pictures and history Horner's Syndrome seems more likely.

However perhaps being a hunting dog he stuck his nose somewhere into plants and scratched his eye or got some plant material in it.

If he is feeling fine otherwise there are a couple things that you can try at home. You can purchase all of the things I mention below over the counter at the local drug store.

You can start with flushing that eye copiously with sterile saline, that should soothe his eye and hopefully remove any sort of foreign body.

Then apply artificial tears every few hours for the next couple of days to keep his eye cushioned and hydrated.

Apply a small amount of Polysporin ointment 3 to 4 times daily to his eye for 4 to 5 days to prevent an infection.

I do recommend trying to keep him in a low light setting, at least for the next 24 to 48 hours.

If this is a mild scratch then it should start significant healing over the next 48 hours and his third eyelid should regress.

If he isn't much better in a couple days, or his eye becomes swollen or really red or he is pawing at it, he should be looked at by his veterinarian to try and diagnose his particular problem.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi, this is a great amount of good info. Thank you. The picture of that Husky is quite similar, although not as pronounced. If it is HOrner's, what is the treatment?
I think I will do the cleansing, etc. you recommend. so just plain old saline and polysporin? same kind of artificial tears, all bought at a normal pharmacy?

I understand, your fellow is much more pronounced.

Treatment will depend upon what is causing nerve inflammation.

It could be as simple as treating an ear infection, or anti-inflammatory drugs to quiet arthritis, or antibiotics if this is a localized infection or surgery if we find a mass.

Yes, all of the eye medications/supplies I recommended are sold over the counter at the drug store. In this case people and dog medications are the same.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you!

My pleasure, glad to help.

Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson, ER/ICU & Exotic Animal Veterinarian
Phone call session started
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian