Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate a half stick of butter. What should I do? He's…

Customer Question
My dog ate a...

My dog ate a half stick of butter. What should I do? He's sharpe'and choc lab. 65lbs. Should I try peroxide?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?

Cooper and he's 18 mons

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cooper?

No health issues. Strong, active and a sweet heart

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/20/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Butter is very high in fat.

Eating that much fat can lead to significant gastrointestinal upset, vomiting and diarrhea.

In some cases that can also lead to pancreatitis, inflammation of her pancreas causing increased enzyme production, usually related to a high fat meal, which can lead to severe abdominal pain and possibly peritonitis.

I would induce vomiting.

Induce vomiting by giving him 3% hydrogen peroxide at a dose of 3 tablespoons orally, or mixed with a little ice cream or bread chunks, then take him out and run him around to get the peroxide fizzing.
If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose once.

I'll be back with more information, but I wanted you to have this to start.

You must use FRESH (UNEXPIRED) peroxide. Expired peroxide has no efficacy.

To try and settle his stomach today after he vomits you can give either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle his stomach. You can give either one of these for a couple days to help his stomach heal. Peroxide works by irritating the stomach lining, which should cause the dog to vomit. Sometimes we can see residual irritation even after vomiting, especially in some breeds like Shar Peis that tend to have a "wrinkled" esophagus. To prevent trouble I recommend following up with a week or so of using an acid reducer.

If you choose not to induce vomiting, I would food fast him for 24 hours.

Then if he doesn't vomit or seems at all to have an upset stomach feed a homemade diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or white, skinless chicken, all fats drained off the meat, and 2/3 boiled, plain white rice for the next few days.

If he doesn't vomit it back up or he seems nauseous for the next few days you can still use the acid reducers and bland diet to try to prevent trouble.
If you don't induce vomiting and later he starts vomiting, has a tense painful belly or refuses to eat or runs a fever (more than 103F rectally) then that can signify a bout of pancreatitis and he should be seen by a veterinarian immediatelyIt has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian