Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

SHE WAS POOPING BLOOD AND NOT EATING, TOOK HER TO THE VET…

SHE WAS POOPING BLOOD...

SHE WAS POOPING BLOOD AND NOT EATING, TOOK HER TO THE VET YESTERDAY AND THEY SAID SHE HAS A VIRUS(ALL HER SHOTS ARE UP TO DATE) SHE WAS GIVEN ANTIBIOTICS, B12 AND NAUSEA MEDS. TODAY SHE ONLY DRANK WATER AND STILL NOT EATING. ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS AS TO WHAT IS GOING ON WITH HER?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

IT WAS A MESS BUT I CLEANED IT ALL UP! NOT THAT I'M AWARE OF, SHE ONLY EATS HER DOG FOOD AND ONLY GOES OUT TO USE THE BATHROOM AND RUN IN THE YARD.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

MAXINE AND SHE WILL SEVEN 8-4-18

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is MAXINE?

6&1/2

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about MAXINE?

SHE WENT TO THE GROOMER ON FRIDAY WAS FINE THE WEEKEND UNTIL SUNDAY WHEN SHE STARTED POOPING. SHE IS TWITCHING BOTH OF HER EARS WHICH IVE NOT NOTICED BEFORE.

3/20/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Maxine. While viral infections such as by parvovirus, coronavirus, and circovirus can cause her gastrointestinal distress, they're not as common a cause of her gastrointestinal distress as other causes. In particular, when hematochezia (blood from the anus) is seen we need to consider the following:

hemorrhagic gastroenteritis - an important consideration particularly in small dogs who can become quite dehydrated and electrolyte imbalanced if intravenous fluids aren't administered promptly; an antibiotic, vitamin B12, and antiemetic can't address dehydration

anal sac gland impaction, sacculitis, or abscess

neoplasia – gastrointestinal adenocarcinomas are most common

perianal fistulas - most common in the German shepherd

anal stricture - uncommon – most often found in middle-aged to older males

trauma – e.g., from passing a foreign body in the stool

proctitis (rectal inflammation)

colitis – idiopathic (unknown cause), food allergy, infection (bacterial, viral, parasitic) - an important consideration

coagulation disorder – seen with anticogulant rodenticides or thrombocytopenia (lack of blood platelets) but not a common cause of hematochezia

I recommend that Maxine be admitted to her vet hospital and maintained on IV fluids until she become appetent and you can manage her at home. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
SHE HAS NOT EATEN ANYTHING SINCE SUNDAY BUT HAS DRANK WATER ONLY. HOW LONG CAN SHE GO WITHOUT ANY FOOD? SHE HAS HAD HER PARVO SHOT CAN SHE STILL GET IT ? CAN ANYTHING BE SEEN ON XRAY?

Dogs can go a couple of weeks without eating but just a few days without drinking. Parvo is rarely seen in vaccinated dogs of her age. Yes, foreign bodies and evidence of obstruction in the gastrontestinal tract can be apparent in X-rays. Ultrasound is more sensitive of an imaging modality when looking into the abdomen, however. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
SHE SEEMS TO HAVE SOME SHALLOW BREATING, IS THE ASSOCIATED WITH ANY OF THE DISORDERS YOU STATED EARLIER? IF SO, IS THIS SOMETHING I SHOULD TAKE HER BACK TO THE VET TODAY OR GO TO THE ANIMAL HOSPITAL?

Possibly. Shallow breathing can represent pain, anxiety, cardiopulmonary disorders, and any number of metabolic disorders. It's a worrisome sign but not one that is pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder. Yes, I would be more comfortable knowing that Maxine was rechecked by her vet today. She would benefit from the administration of fluids at the very least. They can be given subcutaneously while you wait and so she wouldn't need to be hospitalized. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I DO APPRECIATE YOUR HELP SIR, THANK YOU SO MUCH AND HAVE A BLESSED DAY!

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian