Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a dog that keeps licking his rectal area. I have had…

I have a dog...

I have a dog that keeps licking his rectal area. I have had him to our vet several times have tried an anti-inflamatory twice for 5 days each with no change. I have also increased his fiber there seems to be no problem with his bowels. I am planning to go see Vet again but would like another opinion. He also has eaten the leaves off one of my bushes since he came to live with me. He is a terrior type rescue about 7 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Jericho

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jericho?

He has allergies so is on Clariton 10 mgm in the spring. We live in Arizona. He weighs 22 lbs.

3/20/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Jericho. Such behavior is often thought to be due to anal sac gland impaction/infection (which needs to be investigated) but in the great majority of cases anal pruritis (itchiness) which is prompting the licking is one sign of a more general allergic reaction. You've mentioned that Jericho suffers from springtime allergies and so it's reasonable to assume that with spring approaching he's showing a sign of atopy (allergies to environmental allergens such as pollens, molds, dust, and dust mites, etc.) once again. A food intolerance is another consideration but I wouldn't think that likely because his signs are seasonal.

You can see if loratidine (Clariton) dosed at 10 mg daily is helpful but antihistamines haven't been found to be reliably effective in atopic dogs even when combined with essential fatty acids. I would have you speak to your vet about the newer approaches to these atopic dogs - the oral oclacitinib (Apoquel) or injectable IL-31 (Cytopoint). For now, applying a thin film of an over the counter hydrocortisone cream thrice daily to Jericho's anus should be helpful. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank ;you

Our messages may have crossed. Did you see my post timestamped 09:03 (my time)? If not, I'll repost it.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian