Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a Shar pei. Last week I found a tick on her, she

Customer Question
I have a Shar...

I have a Shar pei. Last week I found a tick on her, she wouldn't let me remove it. She had dug at it and by the time I found it it was huge. Since she wouldn't let me remove it I thought I would just keep and close eye on it. Three days later it was gone. I searched for it but never found it. This morning my dog woke up and made and weird yelp sound and started walking weird and now she doesn't have strength in her hind legs. I have no car and only $150 to my name, the only vet close that will accept the shar pei breed won't accept payments and nobody else will even see her. I can't find the tick on her now and she's know to eat insects and bugs. Is there anything I can do to save my dogs life from home?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes, I looked at both paws and I didn't see anything.

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

She moves her legs like she wants to stand but it's like there isn't any traction allowing her paws to stay on the floor almost. She just pushes and can't get up. Her name is*****: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chanel?

I think she's around five...I received her as an abused dog from people who went to prison.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
I paid my $5. Please help, I'm very scared. My dog is my best friend and one of the only friends I have. I have mental health issues and she means the world to me.
3/20/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 4 months ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for asking your question and trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 18 years of experience.

I am not sure the ataxia (walking weird) and lack of strength in her legs is related to the previous tick, but if there is a NEW tick on her this can be tick paralysis. The key thing is do a good search everywhere for ticks and apply an effective anti-tick treatment (overt-the-counter you can use a Frontline product or Advantix). If this is tick paralysis, once the tick dies and is removed then all is better.

Now, this may not be tick-related and that she truly has another problem causing these signs such as vestibular syndrome, a primary brain issue (such as stroke or high blood pressure or brain tumor) or inner ear infection or it could be related to an internal problem like anemia or electrolyte problem. There are many issues possibly at play. I am sorry that I could not narrow down the list without an exam and some testing.

At home, tick care is about the best you can do.