Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our dog, Charlotte, 10 mo old lab/pit mix is usually very…

Our dog, Charlotte, 10...

Our dog, Charlotte, 10 mo old lab/pit bull mix is usually very active and eats everything in sight. This morning she I took her out and she sort of sat down looking at things. She didn't urinate, which she usually always does. Then we went in and sat on the sofa for our usual morning routine of me drinking coffee and her waiting to lick the yogurt cup. She sat on the sofa and I finished and she had her head hanging off the sofa and whined. She finally managed to get off the sofa and sort of hobbled over to the cup. I watched her and she came back to sit on the sofa with me and used her front paws to get up. She lay down and I felt around both legs but there wasn't a cry or whimper. I felt around her hind end and she sort of looked at me and started licking back there. It seems as if the area is swollen, but I don't know I never felt back there before, so it could be normal. Could it be a blockage? Would that make her limp and be lethargic?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help Charlotte. How old is Charlotte?

She is about 10 mo old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Charlotte?

Other than she usually eats/chews everything in sight, bottles, dumbells,. She also eats weeds when we go walking. She has done that ever since we got her.

3/20/2018
Dr. Thompson
Dr. Thompson, Veterinarian

Hi, thanks for the question. Sorry to hear Charlotte is not herself this morning. If I understand correctly, the main concerns are that she is less active than normal, seems like she can't move as well as normal, and did not urinate outside as she normally does. Is that correct?

Has she been offered a meal yet today? If so, how was her appetite?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She isn't making any noises other than her usual breathing. Should I take her to the vet she has been seeing? We go to the vet that is in the PetSmart store. I think it is Bancroft.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She weighs almost 60 pounds so I don't want to have to carry her in there if I don't need to.

It's never wrong to see your vet if you are concerned! I can try to help sort things out a bit more here if you can give me more info. Did she eat a meal today?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She hasn't eaten today. All she did was lick the bowl after I finished my yogurt. She has water out, but hasn't had any of that either.

So her appetite is not normal, either. You said she hobbled after getting off the couch then licked back there. Was she licking under her tail (anal area)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it was, it seems swollen, but what do I know!

Any vomiting or diarrhea in the last day or so?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It also could have been because she was lying down and it was just compressed. No, she hasn't had any vomiting or diarrhea.

OK, that's good to hear. I assume she's been normal up until today (eating and drinking normally). Has she had a bowel movement in the last 12 hours?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Within the last 12 to 20 hours.

OK, so we know she is not vomiting and she is pooping-- both good signs, right? :)

She is mainly limp and lethargic. Did she have a lot of exercise or do any new activities yesterday?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, nothing out of the ordinary. She sleeps in my daughter's room and I haven't checked there to see if she ate anything unusual during the night. She has a pet gate so she doesn't get out to the rest of the house. This is totally new for her.

If you have not offered her food (a full meal) yet today, try that and see if she has an appetite. If she refuses to eat, I recommend you take her to the vet.

If Charlotte continues to be lethargic throughout the day today, she should be seen by a vet. Especially if she has a poor appetite. So many things can cause these symptoms in a young dog and it is a concern that she is known to eat all sorts of things she shouldn't!

I hope I've answered your question. Please don't hesitate to ask any follow-up questions. If you're satisfied, I'd appreciate 5 star rating. Hope Charlotte feels better soon!

Dr. Thompson
Dr. Thompson, Veterinarian
Dr. Thompson
Dr. Thompson
Dr. Thompson, Veterinarian