Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has always had pink healthy gums but more recently,

Customer Question
My dog has always...

My dog has always had pink healthy gums but more recently, they appear to be darker nearer the top of his gum area? What may be going on?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?

He seems a bit slower but he runs well when he is outside.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

I massage his body and it seems that I feel little lumps around his mid-section. The Vet said at his last exam August) that they are just "fat" lumps. I am a little worried,; her dog died of cancer and I am feeding my dog the same food she recommended and gave to her dog.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

I can't think of anything major at this time. Thanks.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/20/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry you are concerned about your dog.

Can you post a picture of his gums? What breed of dog is he? It is not unusual for older dogs to develop normal spots of pigment on the gums.

If he has any tartar or gum disease, that can make his gums more red in appearance.

Slowing down can be a sign of arthritis or joint pain. There are many supplements and medications for this.

The lumps you feel are likely fat lumps, or lipomas, if that is what your vet said. If you want to be sure, you can have needle biopsies, or FNA (fine needle aspiration) done to be certain.

Please let me know when you see my answers and if you have other questions.

How is your dog doing?

I did not hear back from you. Was this helpful? Please let me know if you have other questions.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian