Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog, a 32 lb Cav, started with a throat aggravation type…

Customer Question
My dog, a 32...

My dog, a 32 lb Cav King Charles, started with a throat aggravation type noise and sneezing. A vet diagnosed it as a contagious upper respiratory infection and inflamed larynx/sinus issues. My dog had been at a kennel the week before. She gave him 250mg Cephalexin every 8 hours plus chlorpheniranine 4ng every 8 hrs. After 3 doses, my dog started throwing up every few hours, most green fluids. Took him back to vet and he was given fluids to keep him hydrated. Cephalexin was stopped, chlorphenitnine continued, and mehoclopramide was added every 8 hrs. My dog just started to drink chicken broth and a tad of water. I am concerned about his health and want to know if any organ damage could have been done to him. He jail be 3 on April 3rd. Thank you for information and guidance of this

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

Just an acorn or small mulch piece

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

Such as? He has been in excellent health so far and gets a vitamins every day

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/20/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Thompson, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Thompson
Dr. Thompson, Veterinarian

Hello and thanks for the question. I understand you dog was treated for an upper respiratory infection but didn't seem to do well with the prescribed meds. He's not eating normally now. Is that correct?

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'll follow up for Dr. Thompson for you. To answer you directly, it appears that your CKCS developed the most common of the adverse effects - vomiting - from a cephalosporin class antibiotic such as cephalexin. This is transient and no lasting adverse effects are seen. Treatment consists simply of stopping administration of the antibiotic and normalization of my patient is expected within 72 hours.

Please note, however, that acorns are relatively common causes of small intestine obstruction and the symptoms of obstruction are persistent vomiting and/or anorexia. If vomiting persists, X-rays or ultrasound of his GI tract are important. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The vet said no solid food for 24 hours which ends today 12-1:00 pm. He started drinking chicken stock this morning. No more vomiting so far. Should I have him tested for any liver or kidney issues from this antibiotic reaction??

Thank you for the additional information. Thank you for the good update. I don't believe that testing is indicated in a patient that normalizes quickly but there's no contraindication for it if it will afford you peace of mind. It's best to fast him for a minimum of 4 hours (never restrict water, however) prior to his arrival at his vet hospital for the most accurate test results. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much for your comments. He has been very lethargic since yesterday early am, not touching any food or water. He does seem to now be recovering slowly. I’m assuming he can now have his Natural Balance potato and duck food?? Cav’s are suspectible to health issues which is why I feel it prudent to have blood tests. Your thoughts on that please?

Correct.

CKCS are predisposed to mitral valve disease (MVD), syringomyelia (SM) with or without a Chiari-like malformation, hip dysplasia, luxating patellas, and certain vision and hearing disorders but I'm not aware of a predisposition for visceral disorders.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for that information. Before we close, what should I look out for going forward such as symptoms, etc., which would alert me to the issues you just mentioned?

Our primary concern at this time is normalization of her GI tract and so persistent inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea need to be reported to her vet. Symptoms of the disorders I mentioned for which CKCS are predisposed are multiple and varied and my moderator won't allow me to discuss them in this conversation. You'll need to open up a new request for that. Mea culpa.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dr. Salkin, understood and thank you again for your help.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian