Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is a 1 and a 1/2 year old german shepherd/lab mix. He…

My dog is a...

My dog is a 1 and a 1/2 year old german shepherd/lab mix. He is over 70 pounds but doesnt look overweight. He has an average of 5 bowel movement a day even tho he eats food that supposedly tightens his stool. Is this normal?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

His name is*****: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maverick?

He occasionally eats his stool. He used to do it all the time but i am sslowly breaking him. He was a rescue from a local pound last August.

3/20/2018
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about Maverick. I'm so sorry you are having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

You may join the conversation at any time by typing in ,what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.

In the meantime, in order to help me help you better, I'll need some more information. To start with, can you please tell me:

• Exactly what food are you feeding him?
  • How much does he get every day?
  • Is he eating anything else at all, including treats?
  • Are the stools normal and formed?
  • Has he been dewormed?
  • Are you able to upload a photo of him? I'm asking because I oftentimes see pets who are quite overweight, even though their owners are unaware of it.

I'll be standing by and awaiting your reply. Thank you.

He eats Authority fish and potato dog food. He eats his treats and anything else he can get ahold of. He gets 5 cups of food a day. He has been wormed twice.

Thank you for your quick reply. 5 cups of food per day is a relatively large amount of food. I'm going to do some research on your dog food label over the next few minutes. In the meantime, are you able to upload a photo of him that allows me to see his body condition? Thank you.

Authority is Petsmart's own premiun dog food

That's a really great picture... he's a cutie. It also does a good job of letting me see his body condition. You're right; he isn't really overweight, but he's not skinny, either. He's right in the middle.

I'm using OSU's calorie calculator... here's the link...

https://vet.osu.edu/vmc/companion/our-services/nutrition-support-service/basic-calorie-calculator

Based on your photo, I'd give him a body condition score of 3.5 out of 5. As a 70# ***** his RER is 900kcal, and his factor (I'm assuming he's a neutered male) is 1.6.

That means his daily energy requirement is around 1440kcal.

He also always acts like he is starving.
he is neutered

The food you're feeding has a reasonable ingredients list, and provides 382 kcal per cup. That means his approximate amount of food per day is only a little less than 4 cups.

That means his being overfed to some degree.

You are definitely in an area where you could feed him less in order to decrease the amount of stool he is producing.

2 cups twice a day of this high-quality food would be very reasonable.

Ok, thank you very much.

Of course, it's also important to be sure he's been dewormed appropriately and to keep up with monthly internal and external parasite control. An example would be to do a 3-5 day course of fenbendazole, then make sure he's taking a monthly heartworm preventive.

Also, regarding his crazy appetite...

He is on heartworm medicine. Also flea and tick medicine

I talk to a lot of people who seem to be near their wit's end about their dog's over-the-top appetite and drive to eat everything. I think it's really important to understand that for most dogs, their appetites have absolutely nothing to do with how much food they need to eat or should be eating.

They're obligate over-eaters.

And if your way of thinking was to consider that if you only fed him enough he would eventually act like he was satisfied, you can rest assured you'd end up with a morbidly obese dog who was still acting like he's starving. Not a good path to go down.

It's best to expect him to always act hungry.

I guess i am just concerned because my last 2 dogs were free eaters. I would just fill up the bowl whenever it was empty.

I'm glad he's on the monthly heartworm and flea and tick stuff. There's enough dewormer in a heartworm pill to prevent NEW worm infestations, but it won't get rid of an existing population. Good to start with a course of fenbendazole.

He was tested for heartworm last august then started on the heartworm medicine.

Yes, I understand. Also, nearly every time I encounter someone who can't understand their dog's crazy appetite and whose dog is quite normally overeating, they've simply been lucky in the past and haven't had a dog like this before.

You're not alone.

Welcome to world of what most dogs are like. ;-)

Regarding heartworm, that's good. But it's not the same as giving a dewormer, which is for worms that live in the gut and eat food.

Thank you for your help.

You're welcome.

I'm glad I could help.

If that's it for now, please take a moment to rate my response so I may receive credit for helping you today.

Thank you for using our website.

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian