Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Wow thank you for being available. It is not my animal. It…

Customer Question
Wow thank you for...

Wow thank you for being available. It is not my animal. It is my friends dog and he came over here for a little help, what I've seen was the dog throws up whenever it eats but it is in taking water the dog is very lethargic and is barely able to move right now all she's doing is laying down she is 11 years of age. The dog did take a pill for for fleas and ticks Etc 3 days ago the fatigue has started about 2 days ago I don't know what else to ask or say I don't own an animal myself so do you have any questions?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your animal?

It is a dog 11 years of age again

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/20/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 1 month ago
Heath Wilkerson

HI Dr. W here. I'm sorry to hear that. There are a lot of things that can cause fatigue in an eleven year old dog. It could be related to the flea pill, but if he's used to taking that already it really is unlikely that it is the cause now. For how long has he been vomiting?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
About 3 times a day my friend was trying to get her to eat like I said she's definitely in taking water not as much as we would like but she's doing it. She's vomited about 10 times in the last 2 days is what he stated and what I saw myself was she vomited 3 times just in the last couple hours here, one time when she was fed in the other two times no and she's not used to taking that pill by the way this is the first time that he has gotten that one pill for her
Dog Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 1 month ago

Okay in that case it could definitely be the pill that she is not used to. The problem at this point though is the excessive vomiting. After vomiting that many times, her electrolytes are off balance and that is why she is going to be lethargic. She will also be dehydrated at this point even if you can't see it visibly (her bloodwork will show it).

Dog Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 1 month ago

So it's really important at this point that she been seen by a vet for IV fluids to restore her elctrolytes and for medication to stop the vomiting. In the meantime you can help with Pedialyte which has the proper balance of electrolytes in it.

Dog Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 1 month ago

I hope this helps you move forward! Please remember to “accept” my answer, AND RATE OUR CONVERSATION (or I will not receive any credit for helping you). Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! I’ll be online for another hour or so. Thanks and have a great night!

Dog Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 1 month ago

Hi I'm checking in to see how it's going?

Dog Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 1 month ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson