Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My GSD ate a bird and is now throwing it up. can I give her…

My GSD ate a...

My GSD ate a bird and is now throwing it up. can I give her something to settle her stomach or just let her finish throwing it up

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Zoe and 4-1/2 years.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zoe?

No very healthy good diet normally not including the bird

3/20/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Did you see the bird in the vomit?

2- How much does she weigh?

3- Any other symptoms?

the bird was in the vomit
she weighs 78 lbs
no other symptoms

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

she has vomited twice with most all bird the first time and the second had bird and her dinner

This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 20mg tablet every 12 hours for the next 1-2 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet. 4

- If she continues to vomit after doing the above she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Thank you for the help I’ll get her some Pepcid and see how she does by morning
Thanks again doc

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian