Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My shihtzu of 10lbs just ingested 35mgbof Benadryl. Benji…

My shihtzu of 10lbs...

My shihtzu of 10lbs just ingested 35mgbof Benadryl

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the shitzu will be able to digest that. What is the shitzu's name and age?

Benji and he will be 2 in april

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Benji?

1year and 10months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Benji?

No Very healthy dog

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/20/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Good news! While this is techinically an overdose the fact is that Benadryl has a very wide margin of safety in the dog. So really all you're likely to see here is some mild sedation.

2. Given the above all you need to do for now is just to keep an eye on Benji, the chances are this will not affect him too much.

3. of course if more severe symptoms occur then you should have your local vet check him over without delay.

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Benji's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Online I read about inducing vomiting with hydrogen peroxide I did this with a total of 2 tsp in the last 30mins and he has not vomited.. was this a bad idea?

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

1. You did not do wrong, inducing vomiting where a dog has swallowed something he should not have is never a bad idea. The usual dose rate for the induction of vomiting with hydrogen peroxide is one teaspoon per 10 pounds of bodyweight, and it can be repeated 15 minutes later if you are not successful the first time. However be aware that inducing vomiting in smaller short-nosed breeds is not without its risks, although the risk is very slight.

Please follow this link for an accurate article on inducing vomiting in the dog. : LINK

2. But in your case I would not be too concerned since Benadryl does have a high margin of safety in the dog, chances are he will be OK.

Regards,

Dr Scott

How long until effects of the Benadryl subside? And what other side effects besides sedation are common with overdose of Benadryl?
He does seem to be panting a lot more then normal, is that a side effect?

1. In this sort of situation, I would not normally expect any side effects other than a mild period of lethargy, this will normally persist for three or four hours and then your dog should recover. Having said that, with this level of overdose, I have known a few dogs may also experience a mil transient episode of vomiting. The panting could also be a minor side effect.

2. But as I said previously the chances are that Benji will come through this OK, but if you think he is deteriorating or you become further concerned then you should have an ER vet check him over just to be on the safe side.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott