Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He can't poop just keeps trying but nothing comes out and he…

He can't poop just...

He can't poop just keeps trying but nothing comes out and he vomited white foamy stuff

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Brady 10

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Brady?

Not that I know of he's usually very healthy

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/20/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How much does Brady weigh { In pounds }?

45 lbs
I gave him a laxative yesterday and one again this eav

Thanks for the additional information, typing up your answer now.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Brady is uncomfortable, however, I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. If he is constipated you may want to try oral remedies such mineral oil { Liquid Paraffin } which is an over the counter product available from your chemist or pharmacy to relieve your dog's constipation, this type of product is very gentle and safe. The dose rate for a dog of your one's size would be in the region of 6 ml twice a day orally. A small syringe you can also pick up at the pharmacy would be a good aid in administering this product.

{ Until you can pick up the mineral oil you can safely substitute olive oil or vegetable cooking oil }

2. On a home remedy basis one of the other things that might help is canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling, this is a gentle stool softener for dogs which makes it a good natural remedy for constipation. You could try one tablespoon twice a day for a dog of Brady's size.

3. But be aware that there would be two kinds of constipation in the dog, the first would be a simple or primary constipation which happens now and again and is not related to any disease process and may be related to feeding, or perhaps giving bones, this form will often quickly respond to the above common sense sort of treatment.

4. But dogs can appear to be constipated on a secondary basis for other reasons such as bowel obstruction or other serious diseases, this, of course, is rare and you would usually see other signs related to this situation. But for this reason, if the problem persists or other symptoms appear you should consider having a vet check your dog over sooner rather than later.

6. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Brady 's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott