Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 2 and a half year old brussels griffon has had really bad…

Hi! My 2 and...

Hi! My 2 and a half year old brussels griffon has had really bad diarrhea but what is more concerning is the fact that I gave her a meal and she threw up her undigested meal 8 hours later

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

I gave her some pepto this morning and then some imodium about an hour ago

3/20/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand your dog is having diarrhea and also vomited undigested food 8 hours after a meal. Is that a correct summary of the situation? Can you also please tell me if he has a chronic history of sporadic episodes of vomiting or loss of appetite?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
that is correct, she has had diarrhea since yesterday. Today was her first time vomiting undigested food.

Thank you. Vomiting undigested food so long after a meal indicates either a motility problem or a physical obstruction. With signs of diarrhea, indicating inflammation in the large intestine as well, the problem is caused by generalized digestive inflammation, which causes a decrease of motility and timed contractions of the intestines. In other words, when the intestines are inflamed then they slow down in their contractions. The stomach emptying time is delayed and food remains stagnant in the stomach, which causes further nausea and vomiting. The goal of treatment is to decrease inflammation in the intestines and improve motility.

There are numerous causes of intestine or abdomen inflammation. Some of the more common ones are intestinal parasites, food allergies / food intolerance, inflammatory bowel disease, pancreas or liver inflammation, foreign body, etc. Your veterinarian can help you sort out which one it is with some diagnostic testing. Treatment for right now is to help decrease nausea, treat diarrhea, monitor for dehydration, and increase motility of the intestines. If vomiting keeps occurring, or if you notice dehydration, then you have to have her seen by a veterinarian right away.

Treatment is first to withhold all food for 12-24 hours. Treatment for nausea is to give an over-the-counter medication like Zantac or Pepcid. Zantac also increases intestine motility, so that is helpful on both fronts. A dose for a dog weighing 50 lbs or more is 80 mg, so that would equal 1 tablet every 12 hours.

If no vomiting after 24 hours then you can feed her a low fat diet, which consists of things like boiled chicken, rice, or sweet potatoes. Feed this in small amounts. Water can always be offered, but again, only allow her to drink it in small amounts at a time. Keep monitoring her hydration status 1-2 times per day.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, she is about 12 pounds, how much zantac should I give her and can I combine that with imodium to help her diarrhea?

Kaopectate is also helpful to treat diarrhea, so you can add that to the regimen as well. Pepto Bismol can be toxic if used chronically, so I would advise against that one for long term use.

It is a little more challenging to dose Zantac to a small dog since it comes as a 75 mg tablet. You would need to give 1/4 tablet or grind up the entire thing and give with water if that makes it easier to give it in syringe. You can combine this with the Imodium you are already giving.

Does that help answer your question?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian