Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My husband was giving our 80lb dog a Benadryl, had it in a…

My husband was giving...

My husband was giving our 80lb dog a Benadryl, had it in a piece of Vienna sausage, had it in her mouth she dropped it out of mouth and our 8lb Yorkie was under her, we can't find the benedryl, not sure if 80lb dog actually swallowed it or Yorkie got it

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Tink Tink she was a puppy mill dog vet thinks around 12-15 mths

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

She's acting normal so needed to know what to watch for

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?

No, acting fine

3/20/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

How many milligrams of Benadryl do you suspect she took?

Are you there?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If she did get it it was 25mg

1- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

2- How long has it been since she took it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Looking

Okay.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
we do about 10 mins

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, the dose of Benadryl she took can cause significant lethargy, somnolence, etc. I know you are not certain if she took it or not; I would prefer to err on the side of caution and I would try to get her to vomit. This is what you can do:

1- Give her 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide 3% orally to induce vomiting.

2- Allow her to walk for a minute and move her belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If she does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If she does not vomit or you do not see the benadryl in the vomit observe her for the next 12 hours. If she becomes lethargic, difficulty walking or breathing have her checked by ER veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She threw up within 2 mins about 4 times, did not see any benedryl, thank you very much!

Fantastic!

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian