Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog started having seizures about 3 years ago. No one…

Customer Question
My dog started having...

My dog started having seizures about 3 years ago. No one seemed to know why. After reading about dog food that cause other dogs to have seizures I immediately put him off of purina products and started him on a raw food diet whenning him off the seizure meds with in two weeks. This stoped his seizures for about 2 years. About a month ago I changed his dog food due to cost, forgetting about the problem with purina. This month my dog began having grand mal seizures. I immediately started him back on the Levetiracetam and change his diet back to raw food diet. A couple of days past and the seizures continued but this time he periodically yelped like he was in pain after having an attack. I rush him to emergency and they administered midazolam to stop the seizures. They again prescribed him the Levetiracetam but added potassium bromide. Oh by the way he is a shiz tzu. It has now been two days. The seizures have stoped, but now his symptoms are continuous pacing, large amounts of urination, falling over, weak legs, poops anywhere and falls over while doing so. Panting at times. Lethargic. Appears that his right arm is moving strangely. He lifts it up and down like he’s beating a drum while he’s walking. The vet said he was blind when I brought him in. His sight did return that evening. Is this effects of the medication or is it signs of something worst?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

Horus

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Horus?

He’s 7 years old and as a puppy he was hit by a car. I never saw any problem from it except red in his right eye for a few days.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/20/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Horus, please?

To answer you directly, both an adverse drug reaction and post-ictal (post-seizure) brain damage need to be considered at this time. He was administered three anticonvulsants - midazolam, levetiracetam, and potassium bromide and each have their own pharmacokinetics and little is known when all three are on board at the same time. The smallest effective dose of each (no dose of one or the other may be most appropriate) needs to be determined. His aimless pacing, ataxia ("drunken sailor"), panting, and inappropriate eliminative behavior are signs of encephalopathy (brain disorder) involving his forebrain (cerebrum and thalamus) which may have been damaged to the point of no return. This is determined by monitoring him while attempting to finesse his therapy with those drugs. This can be quite a challenge. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian