Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

During a walk he sometimes suddenly sits down hard. This has…

Customer Question
During a walk he...

During a walk he sometimes suddenly sits down hard. This has happened before a few months ago and the vet assistant then tried to express the anal gland but said it was empty. So I am looking around online for other thoughts.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

Only as I described. He suddenly sits with his hind legs up a bit to more forcefully hit his butt to the ground. He is 14 months old tomorrow. I had him for 7 months. He is a GSD rescue from Birmingham Alabama

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

Are you an automated response. He does not hurt. It is just a weird behavior.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?

Braxton. 76 lbs. Male. fixed.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Braxton?

I have given you some metrics not knowing if you need it. Are there others you need? He is on grain free kibble and poops real good as far as solids go.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/20/2018
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 4 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?

The last occurrence was several days ago where it happened a few times. I have not seen him scooch in a long time and probably only 3 times in the 7 months I had him. (They were very short scooches and he might be doing it more often but in another room where I cannot see him and I am the only one in the house.) He seems to be acting normal today as he is in most days. One nice thing that happened overnight is, we went out just before 11 pm and we went to bed. He did not get me up until 7:45 this morning. This is the first time he did not wake me during the night to go out. We started going back to the dog park this week as most of the snow is gone and the temps have been warmer, so he has been very active and reasonably tired. In January in the dog park, a larger dog leaned its front paws on his lower back and my dog's legs collapsed. The vet took x-rays and he had fluid on the knee and they noticed hip dysplasia level 1. We gave him Previcox for 2 weeks and he has been on Dasuquin since then and seems fine now (so after taking it easy for a month, he is back at the park.)
Why don't we just drop this? It does not seem to be getting us anywhere and I can call my vet and get thoughts from them without doing this email process.I started looking for clues on-line concerning what others have gone thru with their dogs and unwittingly ended up in a response from JA. I did not realize this was a pay process and thought, "Wow, this is a nice thing someone is doing." Then I got the billing information and said, "Well, I'll try it once." But it is not worth it. I just wanted to see what others found out in a forum-like situation. No need to continue this thread.