Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 20lb dog ate 1 120mg pseudoephedrine pill. I have no idea…

My 20lb dog ate...

My 20lb dog ate 1 120mg pseudoephedrine pill. I have no idea when as I am just getting home from work. She seems fine. Do I need to be worried?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Not that I can think of

3/20/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

That's a dangerous intoxication. 120 mg/20 lbs = 6 mg/lb and deaths have occurred at doses greater than 4.5 - 5.5 mg/lb. I would expect her to be symptomatic - restlessness, irritability, mainly - if she had ingested it within the hour. If she remained asymptomatic over the next hour I don't believe she ingested the pill. I would continue to monitor her and only bring her to an on-call vet if you saw that she was beginning to become agitated. There's no specific antidote. Treatment is symptomatic and supportive only. Pseudoephedrine is rapidly and completely absorbed from the GI tract and so inducing emesis isn't helpful at this time. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

absorbed

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am not seeing any of that. She has been eating, drinking, playing and peeing like normal. If she had eaten the pill would I see any of that?

If she had ingested the pill within the hour, you would have seen agitation, restlessness, irritability, and tremors by now. She isn't acting as if she ingested this drug within the hour.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian