Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog ate some kisses yesterday about 3pm... seemed to be

Customer Question
Dog ate some kisses...

Dog ate some kisses yesterday about 3pm... seemed to be doing fine...poop is fine etc. but now her tail is down, she won’t sit still, eating grass

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Abby. She’s 5

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/20/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Ok

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. Roughly how many Hershey Kisses did she swallow { Ounces }?

2. How much does Abby weigh { In pounds }?

30-40 ounces. She weighs 75 pounds

Got it thanks, ***** ***** your answer now ...

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Good news, Abby should be just fine! Given the size of your dog and the amount of the chocolate eaten he has eaten you will not be likely to see any serious problems, all you need do for now is just to keep an eye on her. The minor symptoms you are seeing should pass over the next 24 hours or so. I am optimistic since my experience with milk chocolate is that things will be as bad as they are going to get some six hours after ingestion, after that the dogs start to recover. But let's talk things over in more depth.

2. Milk chocolate is actually not that toxic to dogs compared to other forms and your dog would get around 3 oz of chocolate from 10 Hersey Kisses. They are not composed of pure milk chocolate you see.

3. The rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when two ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. As your dog is 75 lbs in weight she could have eaten up to 52 ozs before you would need to even start to worry about side effects.

4. All you need do now is to continue to monitor Abby. Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if more serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

5. Here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this and you can check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject : LINK

6. But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the unlikely event that Abby's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

What about the foil? Could that be blocking?
She seems very restless and uncomfortable
Pain pills?

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

1. The foil wrappers rarely cause much of a problem in my experience, they normally just pass along the dog's digestive tract without a problem. Also, it is very much a plus point that Abby is a larger dog.

2. Pain pills may not be so useful since the main possibility is that she has digestive tract problems such as indigestion and also that amount of chocolate will make her a little nauseous. What would be better would be to put her on Pepcid for the next few days. Please follow this link for more information on how this drug is used in dogs including dose rates: LINK

3. Of course, if she does not quickly start to recover or if you become further concerned then you should have your local vet check her over just to be on the safe side. However, in my experience, this would rarely be necessary in cases involving chocolate.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Abby is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the chocolate kisses episode ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott