Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We chatted last week about Chicken Pucks. I was a bit

Hi Rebecca, we chatted last...
Hi Rebecca, we chatted last week about Chicken Pucks. I was a bit elusive then as I couldn't get a Veterinarian to speak to me once they found out my situation, so I kind of hood winked you and told you it was my dog with the problem. I am a smallish commercial dog treat manufacturer. I have a product called Wiley's Clucks. They are ground chicken breast that is formed into a disk and dehydrated for 16 hours in a commercial dehydrator at 170 degrees. The end product is a hard chicken disk about 1/8" thick and 2 1/4" round. I have a customer that is trying to claim that this chicken disk past through his dogs stomach and then punctured his dogs small intestine causing sepsis (sp?) and emergency surgery was needed on the dogs small intestine. The surgery was 9 days after the person fed the chicken to his dog. I personally make all the treats so I know that it is just chicken breast. Could that above be possible?
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/20/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

I would not be able to say for sure until I saw the surgery report. I have never had chicken meat cause a perforation of the intestine, in my experience.

Me either, but I want to make sure that a) I'm correct in my thinking and b) that I'm not making a product that could in any way endanger any pups. Attached is what the customer sent to me including a picture of my Clucks (top shot) and what they pulled from his dog's intestine during the surgery.

This document says it was a chew toy that perforated that perforated the intestines. Was the "chew toy" the chicken puck?

No. Whatever the thing at the bottom of the picture that I sent was what they called a chew toy

And the thing at the top is the puck? How do they know which caused the perforation?

The surgical team is just stating facts on what they did. The owner is making the leap that the Cluck (top picture) and the chew toy ( bottom picture) are the same thing.

Then the dog owner does not have proof that it was the Cluck.

Correct. The thing for me is could it have been the Cluck. I’m pretty sure I’m safe legally but ethically I want to be certain. I guess the real question is could dehydrated chicken breast make it through the stomach intact enough to cause damage and if so would that damage be a 9 day affair before needing surgery.

I am not a pathologist or a nutritionist; I really can't answer this for certain.

I would expect dehydrated chicken to soften in the fluid environment of the stomach and not be hard enough to cause a problem, but if it does stay hardened, it could be a problem.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thanks for the great rating.