Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We have a rat terrier with a yeast infection on her face.

We have a rat...

We have a rat terrier with a yeast infection on her face. She keeps getting worse and she can't be on steroids all of the time. Can we use vagisil?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?

Elsa and she is 3

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Elsa?

She is lethargic... But I think it is because she itches so much

3/20/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Phone call session started

Hello again,

Further to our phone call regarding your dog's skin condition ...

Sorry to hear that Elsa is uncomfortable, what you describe { Long-term itchy skin with a concurrent yeast infection } is very common, and some dog breeds such as terrier breeds seem to suffer from it more than other breeds. The situation is that if you exclude infectious skin diseases such as sarcoptic mange which your vet will be easily able to do then you are often left with a diagnosis of atopic dermatitis, { Atopy } this is a form of allergic dermatitis. I am very suspicious from your description that this is what is the underlying cause of what going on in your dog's case might be so I will tell you some more about it and what causes it ...

1. Some cases of atopy are due to an allergy to a small protein in the saliva of the flea which the flea passes when it bites. Stringent flea control is a must not only on your dog but in the house as well. Where a dog is hypersensitive only a couple of bites may be enough to trigger a massive skin reaction, it is good practice to really control fleas properly whatever skin condition your dog is suffering from but especially atopy cases. Often the number of fleas are so low that the owner is not aware of them.

2. It can also be an allergy to components of the diet so consider a prescription hypo-allergenic diet, your vet will advise and will stock these but you can also get them from better pet stores. If you go down this road your dog will have to be fed only this and water and it may take six weeks for this approach to show any signs of success. I have known this to be very effective but you must obtain the correct type of diet, self-formulated ones are rarely successful in my experience.

3. Other allergies are more difficult to deal with such as to pollen or house dust mites, because you can never get rid of the actual allergen these dogs can be maintained on a variety of drugs such as antihistamines steroids or atopica. If this is the category of disease you are dealing with then if you stop the drugs the disease will often come straight back so often a low maintenance dose is given once symptoms have been controlled. Antibiotics and antifungal drugs may also be needed in the early stages because of secondary infections. Medicated washes such as Malaseb used say twice a week are especially useful to reduce secondary infections as they have strong anti-fungal and anti-bacterial components.

4. There is a body of evidence that evening primrose oil is effective in reducing the symptoms of atopy in the dog, this normally has to be given in conjunction with other measures and again it is given every day. Just use it on a pro rata basis on human weight and your dog's weight.

5. It could well be that prescription drugs from your vet now and again might be needed. However, if you want to give home remedies a try then consider Benadryl as the antihistamine, plus strict flea control, evening primrose oil from the human health food shop, and a hypoallergenic diet for skin cases from a pet store and a malaseb skin wash. Info on Benadryl including dose rates via this link: LINK

Hopefully, I have given you a few ideas on how to start to tackle this frustrating problem, but please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?