Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I caught my dog playing with a Tomcat 1 oz bait station

I caught my dog...

I caught my dog playing with a Tomcat 1 oz bait station yesterday afternoon -- the active ingredient is bromethalin. I took it away immediately and the bait was still intact inside the container, but I am afraid that she may have ingested a very small amount that may have been by the trap entrance. She is acting normal and this happened about 24+ hours ago. I did immediately call a 24 hr. vet service (as it was Sunday) and they thought she would be just fine unless she had consumed much more than she did. They did not ask her breed, weight or the active ingredient however, which made me think twice today. She is approx. 12-15 lbs., so a very small dog. She is also a puppy -- about 10 mos. old.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that your puppy played with a bait station that contained Bromethalin as the active ingredient toxin.

This toxin is absorbed quickly and has no antidote so in most cases quickly getting it out of their system and then preventing any small remaining toxin from being absorbed is best. In your pup's case however it sounds like she really didn't get to the bait itself.

At this point, 24 hours later, we are beyond doing either one of those things anyway.

Bromethalin causes decreased nerve conduction, paralysis, and death. A dose greater than 1.67 mg/kg (2.2 pounds) of body weight is toxic, and 2.5 mg/kg of body weight is deadly.

Bromethalin can cause symptoms quickly at higher doses or the symptoms can be delayed at lower doses. The effects are seen earlier with doses of ≥5 mg/kg bromethalin, but may take as as many as 10 hours after ingestion to appear. Symptoms include hyperexcitability, muscle tremors, grand mal seizures, central nervous system depression, and death. With lower doses symptoms may not appear until 24–86 hours after ingestion. At lower doses we can see vomiting, depression, incoordination, tremors, and finally inability to rise.

Given that your puppy is fine 24 hours later odds are very high that she will remain so, and was not exposed to more than dust, which was not enough to make her sick.

I would recommend that you watch for and attempt to treat and reduce brain edema symptoms if they occur. These include tremors or incoordination. Use of the medication mannitol as an osmotic diuretic and corticosteroids have been suggested but have shown little effect in dogs poisoned by bromethalin, but both are worth trying if she starts to show symptoms.

I don't think that she will be affected given her normal behavior so far.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
She never showed any symptoms, so hopefully, all will continue to be well. Thank you for your assistance!

That is fantastic news, thank you for letting me know!

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian