Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

In the past few weeks my dog has had dandruff and occasional…

Customer Question
Hi in the past...

Hi in the past few weeks my dog has had dandruff and occasional itching. In some spots now the area appears to be thinning and i coukld see darker skin and flakey dry skin.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your dog's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** a dacshund/beagle mix hes 9 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Boomer?

9

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Boomer?

We live in long island hes on bravecto as a flea prevention

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/20/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 4 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

Can I ask please have you had a skin scraping done?

Is the skin turning blackish?

Thank you. In looking at the picture it looks like the skin may just have some damage from scratching. The flakes may be due to dry skin which can make a dog itch or it can be due to a combination of allergies as well which will also make a dog scratch.

Hypothyroidism can also cause dry skin and hair loss. For that your Vet would need to do a blood test.

If you are worried your Vet can do a skin scraping.

Can you tell me what you feed the dog?

Are there any supplements given for dry skin?

Hes eating supreme source grain free food and in the past 2 weeks I started to give him VetriScience Derma Strength Everyday Health Bite-Sized Dog Soft Chews Chews 1 per day. I also bought a small humidifier

Thank you. I see you are getting hit on the Island with snow and nor- easters. I have not seen snow like that there since I was a kid!

I would first suspect the cold causing the problem. What I would add to the diet is coconut oil. This also helps with allergies in case they play a role in this. During the winter or snow months, outside mold comes into play for allergies. Summer it's the usual allergens.

I am going to direct you to a link which will tell you how much to add as per the dog's weight. What I do is melt it in the microwave and poor it over the food. I think in a couple of weeks you will see a difference.

You can also give some zyrtec if scratching seems to be allergy related and I will direct you to a link for that as well for dosing and precautions.

When it gets really flaky, you can use some Selsun blue shampoo for bathing. Leave it on for a minute to soak in. Dry the dog well with a professional blow dryer for dogs.

Coconut oil guide https://www.sitstay.com/blogs/good-dog-blog/37662913-coconut-oil-for-dogs-the-ultimate-guide

zyrtec https://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/zyrtec-for-dogs/

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

You can request me at this link in the future. http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-2ndchances/