Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Itching in vaginal area...ears...licking paws...red rash…

Itching in vaginal area...ears...licking...

Itching in vaginal area...ears...licking paws...red rash appears some days severe

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Libby....4yr a rescue...shitz Zu

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Libby?

Had a kidney stone removed in Aug...treated for a yeast infection also...smell was aweful...got that taken care of but now this

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She's on Science Diet sensitive skin and stomach...and trying antibiotics....which one would you encourage? Mal-A-Ket wipes...Malaseb shampoo every 3 days...Cipro...Enroflox...cephalexin....
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She gets ear infections often...on Epi Optic Advanced and Mometamax...she weighed 6 lbs 1yr 1/2 ago up to 10
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/20/2018
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

How long has Libby had this problem?

How long has she been on the new diet?

Was anything new added to her environment right before these issues started?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She had a yeast infection...when we got her 11/2yr ago...which we got cleared up...this issue comes and goes...we're trying to find the right antibiotic to treat it...she's been on the dog food about 6mo...it really has helped her skin all but this area...anything new to her environment? I watched another dog for a frIend for a week??

Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful. Most dogs that develop the symptoms you describe have allergies. An allergic reaction can manifest as a rash and inflammation that causes itchiness. This often causes vaginitis or an itchy vulva, ear scratching or infections, itchy paws so the dog licks or chews the paws. Benadryl can be given at a dosage of 1-2mg per pound every 8 hours though you should check with your vet to ensure there is no interaction with any other medications.

Now the problem with allergies is that the allergic reaction causes itching and the itching damages the skin's immune system so it is unable to control the yeast or staph normally present on a dogs skin. The yeast or staph multiplies unchecked leading to yeast and staph dermatitis. These types of skin infections also cause itching and you treat the dermatitis but the allergy remains or you treat the allergy but the dermatitis remains. Both the allergy and skin infection both have to be treated at the same time.

So unless the underlying cause (allergen) is identified, the cycle will continue. Many vets just treat the symptoms and do not address the underlying cause. Now I know you switched to a different dog food but if your dog is allergic to an ingredient in the new dog food that was also in the old dog food, then she would continue to have a reaction and get another dermatitis.

Comparing ingredients in the foods might help but dogs can be allergic to pollens, cleaning supplies, air fresheners, foods, treats, even grass. The fastest way of determining the allergen is allergy testing. It can be expensive but when you figure the cost of the special foods, shampoos, antibiotics and vet visit costs, it pays off pretty quickly.

Once you eliminate the allergen you can then clear up the skin dermatitis and be done with it completely. Let me give you some information on allergies and allergy testing. You can read about allergies here:

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/allergy-general-in-dogs/428

http://www.lbah.com/word/canine/skin-allergies/

You can read about allergy testing here:

http://www.varlallergy.com/index.html

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1587&aid=504

So I would address the allergy condition first and then use the Malaseb shampoo and antibiotics to clear the skin infection one last time to stop the cycle.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Everything makes sense...I will talk to my vet on maybe switching her dog food and maybe ck into what else she might have an allergy to...I will also ck on the benedryl....Thanks for the info...I now have this to discus with my vet! I was reading the allergy info you sent me...It just hit me...she's been eatting a new chicken jerky treat...that's when this started...we never have these...I'm almost positive this is it...NO more...I'm going to try this...Thank you so very much....I will be in touch and let you know but I know that's what it is...You are the best with all this great info!! Thanks again...I'll be in touch!!����

You are very welcome.

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner