Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Earlier today my 6 mo old puppy punctured a Bic lighter. I…

Hi! Earlier today my...

Hi! Earlier today my 6 mo old puppy punctured a Bic lighter. I do not know what happened but I found the lighter with a hole in it when I got home for work and I do not know what to do.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the puppy?

She's acting pretty normal and she did eat some food that I gave her to see if she would be sick. But I saw something on here that she could have burns or be poisoned and so I wanted to check if she will be ok or if I need to take her in ASAP?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Did you see what the puppy ate?

It was a Bic lighter and she didn't eat it there was just a puncture hole in it. But I tried to light it and all the fluid was out of it

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?

She's 6 mo old and 35 lbs she's acting normal and did eat food and an ice cube

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your puppy and the Bic lighter.
I'm happy to tell you that most of the time this doesn't cause a problem at all.
Just to clarify, she's currently acting just fine?
Are you able to look in her mouth for any sores? Extra drooling?

I looked for sores but she doesn't really let me get in there so I cannot tell for sure everywhere. There is no drooling and she is acting fairly normal.

Good.
The lighter fluid does not taste good and most of the time a puppy won't swallow any of it. It can cause some minor sores in the mouth, though, but that's about it.

The fluid evaporates quickly and leaves no trace on the carpet, etc.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. :-)

What are some things to watch out for that could mean something is wrong?

So, as long as she's acting pretty normal, there's nothing you need to do.

Is there anything else I can help you with today? I'm so happy to give you some good news, because I know what it's like to worry.

We honestly don't expect any problems. Signs to watch for would include:

• severe vomiting
  • appetite loss
  • diarrhea
  • loss of consciousness
  • seizures
  • difficulty breathing

Please understand I'm listing these things not because we expect them from an incident like this, but just because they're the usual symptoms that indicate any type of emergency.

Ok thank you and I just inspected her mouth more and I don't think there are any sores.

That's good news. I really don't anticipate any problems.

I hope that's helpful.

Is there anything else I can help you with today? I want to be as helpful as possible because I know what it's like to worry.

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
No I think that is all. Thank you!

You're very welcome. I hope the rest of the evening is uneventful for you. Thank you for using our website.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Jo