Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 3 pups were took to the vet today, I thought it was the…

My 3 pups were...

My 3 pups were took to the vet today, I thought it was the mange, but she did a skin test on it. It was negative on it. I just noticed it today when I was bathing them, brown crusty, or felt that way when I bathed them. I thought it was dried food on their heads and neck, but then I noticed some hair came out. She give me a antiseptic shampoo on this, to use 3 x a week. She also had said she had saw some more great dane pups with this problem, the first of the month.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Will be 7 weeks old this wed. for all 3 pups. They all three have this on neck and around nose area.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Athena, zeus, Elvis

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Athena?

No, they all 3 do have round worms, worm med. gave for that today.

3/19/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that your little ones have some bumps crusty bumps on their heads and necks.

Do your little ones look like the pups in these links?

1) http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGsMU5ksgxjn1y8Q_Khl7tQZe4lvkIAoq5_tko0sOMVD0omtCL

2) http://www.vet-dermatology.com/media/2036/3.jpg

If so your little ones may have puppy strangles or juvenile cellulitis. This is not a contagious disease, but one that multiple pups in the litter may develop simply because they have similar genetic makeup, and thus the predisposition to develop the disease.

Diagnosis is based upon age, appearance, cytology of the pustules (white blood cells are seen but no bacteria with this disease) and response to treatment. We sometimes will also check a skin scraping to look for demodectic mange. That sounds like it was done and they were negative.

Unfortunately this is an autoimmune disease where the body is attacking itself so high doses of steroids are needed to prevent permanent damage and scarring. And antibiotics are given to prevent secondary infections.

It can take several weeks to get this disease under control but you should see some improvement is 7 to 10 days once treatment is started.

We definitely don't want to stop treatment too soon though or it will come back and be even harder to control.

Here are some links to articles about juvenile cellulitis if you wish to read more:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=2906&S=1&SourceID=42

http://www.marvistavet.com/puppy-strangles.pml

I think a recheck veterinary examination is a great idea, please let me know if you have any further questions.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian