Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She leaks. 13 year American dog female. She will lick that…

13 year American bull...

13 year American bull dog female

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

She will lick that area but it does not seem to hurt her.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?

Baby

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Baby?

She gets very distressed when she goes to the vet.

3/19/2018
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Hello I am Dr Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am sorry to hear about baby. I am working on a response and will be back shortly.
the most common reason for urinary leaking especially if it's passive such as while sleeping or at rest is urinary incontinence. It is important however to rule out the possibility of a urinary tract infection or other metabolic diseases. Given her age the best case scenario would be getting some blood work done including a urinalysis to make sure her kidney values are normal and she doesn't have an active urinary tract infection. If all of that is normal than there is a medication that can be prescribed to help with urinary incontinence. If it truly is urinary incontinence it is not a painful condition, it is just an age-related change that occurs in spayed female dogs. She's probably just licking the area because she notices that there is urine present not because of pain. I understand your concern about taking her to the vet as many dogs get very stressed. unfortunately there is not anything you can do at home to stop the incontinence but if it is not causing her any distress and the accidents don't bother you then you have option of doing nothing.
Most dogs that have urinary tract infections will show signs of discomfort or frequent urination. They typically will go outside numerous times and act as if they have to urinate but not actually do so. If she's not showing any of these symptoms and she probably does not have a urinary tract infection. I will add though that dogs that are incontinent are more prone to urinary tract infection so please monitor for any of those signs and symptoms.
I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. If you are satisfied with my assistance, a five star rating is always appreciated. Even after the rating we can continue this conversation for a week, so keep me posted. Since you're laid off from Nicole
oh my gosh that was supposed to say sincerely, ***** *****!!!! That's auto correct for you! I apologize
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Don't think the last post was for me. Well she doesn't lick All the time . when she goes out to Pee she pees I would say her water and intake is fairly normal. Hate taking her to the vet because she gets so upset. Could I take a urine sample there?
I was apologizing because the end of the post was just supposed to say sincerely ***** ***** and instead it posted..since you're laid off. The system heard my words wrong. Anyway, if she has a current exam, some veterinarians are ok with a drop off fresh urine sample. However, if she has not had a current exam they cannot prescribe medication. It is really good better drinking is otherwise normal and that she does not lick all the time.
Thank you for your time.
Really good that her drinking is otherwise normal. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns as I am very happy to help. I realize how difficult it can be when your pet is nervous and get so stressed going in.