Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

There is a little hole in his paw, it looked like a pimple,

Hi, there is...

Hi, there is a little hole in his paw, it looked like a pimple, i used warm water and salt soaked his paw, i managed to pop whatever it was, puss and blood came out of it. i have it wrapped and ploysporin, should i be taking him to a vet?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

Hes not limping, doesnt seem to be in any pain its the front left paw

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Aside from the hole there is nothing else wrong with his paw

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Brixen, hes 2

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Brixen?

Nope, thats all im concerned about

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Brixen.

(typing more...)

You've done an excellent job with your care for this wound so far. Strong work!

(typing more...)

For an otherwise healthy young dog like Brixen, the care you've provided is often adequate to prevent infection and allow a minor puncture wound to the foot to heal.

(typing more...)

Be sure your bandage is not too tight and isn't causing more problems than it's preventing. I typically will leave wounds like this open after the first 24 hours.

It's also advisable to continue epsom salt soaks for the foot twice daily until the wound dries out and closes.

(typing more...)

After the first 24 hours, when you're no longer using a bandage, discontinue the topical antibiotic ointment. This product will just get licked off and won't be of any benefit. Nor is it necessary.

And, of course, if it seems like the wound is getting worse instead of better, seek veterinary attention.

You've done a great job so far!
How else may I help you today?

i live in a winter climate, so there is a tonn of little pebbles and salt on the sidewalks, he wears a bootie on the one paw, is there anything else I should do to make sure its ok in these climates? and I have 2 other rescue dogs at home with him

I'm glad you have a bootie for him to use while this heals. That will help. Be sure to leave it on ONLY while he's out walking. We need for this injury to be open to the air.

It also simplifies things to keep him inside as much as possible for the next day or two while this starts to heal.

There isn't anything else you need to do.

I'm glad your dogs have you looking after them. They're pretty lucky. :-)

Is there anything else for now?

If that's it for now, please take a moment to rate my response with 5 STARS so I may receive credit for helping you today.

Thank you for using our website.

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
thank you very much for your help and putting me at ease with him.

You're very welcome.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Jo